Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville
actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their
fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an
integral part of the University’s learning community and teach
courses online and/or on main campus. The successful candidate must
be committed to fostering a welcoming environment for a diverse
population of students, faculty, and staff.
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications to
fill an immediate on-ground need this Fall 2022 for an
academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty member to
teach Philosophy undergraduate courses.
Course subjects include, but are not limited to:
• Introduction to Philosophy
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the
University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, and
assignments. Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes,
teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively
deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world
applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class
assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough
manner (with 24-36 hrs.).
• Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in Philosophy or related field from a regionally
• Doctorate with at least 15 graduate hours in Philosophy from a
regionally accredited institution
• Teaching experience and relevant experience in the field
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a background screening.
Teaching philosophy, letter of professional interest indicating
area(s) of focus and approach to meeting the responsibilities
outlined above for the chosen position, and curriculum vitae to
complete the application process.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: May 18, 2022