This position is responsible for representing the university
with international partners based on academic college to coordinate
program logistics and processes, recruit students, and facilitate
enrollment. This position will also work with other Jesuit
universities to align Marquette initiatives
with AJCU international initiatives, increase student
mobility, and enhance global engagement. The coordinator is
responsible for budgeting faculty-led programs, and liaising with
faculty and representing Marquette University with international
partner universities and vendors. This position coordinates program
logistics for approximately 250 Marquette outbound study abroad
students per year, along with incoming bilateral student exchange
students. The coordinator works with departments and college
leaders across campus to update policies and facilitate various
administrative processes, including course registration,
pre-departure and re-entry programming, satisfaction and learning
outcomes assessment, international partner curriculum integration,
and to manage health and safety issues related to education abroad.
The coordinator provides direct emergency response to students
abroad and is part of the rotation of the 24-hour international
emergency phone line.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing relationships and representing the university with
international partners within a designated academic college.
Facilitating academic programming and logistics for international
partner education abroad programs.
- Advising at least 250 Marquette students per year from initial
interest through return from abroad.
- Managing faculty-led programs, which includes budgeting and
payments, program fee and billing determination, logistics, and
collaboration with faculty, as well as domestic and overseas
- Facilitating curriculum integration or assessment with college
and department leadership; international transcript evaluation and
grade or pass/no pass determinations.
- Monitoring and responding to 24/7 emergency phone calls for the
office (on a rotational basis) providing direct emergency response
to students abroad and international students during and outside of
- Serving as an Honorary Consular Officer for Italian and Spanish
visa applications and liaising with Embassies and Consulates to
ensure proper visa regulations are followed.
- Reviewing and making decisions regarding study abroad
applications prior to nominating students to our international
partners for program participation.
- Processing incoming and outgoing bilateral student exchange
- Managing student workers doing administrative tasks and
outreach and recruitment for programs.
- Publicize and market study abroad program and scholarship
- Assist with developing study abroad periodic and annual
- Study abroad recruitment and outreach to potential high school
students to come to Marquette and current students at Marquette,
which include night, weekend, and evening events.
- Advising for international prestigious scholarships.
- Providing general support to the associate director relative to
health and safety programming.
- Conducting international site visits, attendance at
international conferences to liaise with partners, recruiting
across the U.S. for the Sibanye Cape Town program
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required,
assigned, or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A minimum of three years of professional work experience
in the field of international education plus having studied or
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
Microsoft Suite products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Teams,
and OneNote) and Adobe Acrobat systems. Experience with Terra Dotta
and PeopleSoft software is preferred.
- Experience studying or working abroad is required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal relations skills are required to build
positive working relationships with internal and external
- Experience with budget management and related software (Excel)
with the ability to coordinate implementation of short-term study
abroad programs is required.
- Knowledge of best practices within international
- The Coordinator is also asked to travel three-four times per
semester representing Marquette University
at AJCU partners for study abroad fairs, internationally
with partner programs and universities, consular offices, and
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Master’s degree; Academic degree related to international
education; and foreign language proficiency are preferred.
- Three years of professional work experience preferred.
It is the policy of Marquette University to provide equal
employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status or any other applicable federal or state-protected