West Virginia University Relations in collaboration with the
Rockefeller Neuroscience Institution is currently accepting
applications for a Director of Marketing.
About the Opportunity
As the Director of Marketing, you will serve as the chief
professional communicator, public relations professional, and
marketer for the WVU Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute (RNI). The
Director has dual reporting relationships with both the vice
president, neuroscience (secondary), and the chief marketing and
communications officer of the WVU Health System (primary) or their
Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute is the premier
multidisciplinary institute for patient care, research, and
teaching in West Virginia and the region. We celebrated the opening
of our new Innovation Center on May 15, 2019. The RNI’s flagship
facilities are located on the Health Sciences campus in Morgantown,
with more than 1,000 dedicated team members across five
departments, patient care units, and research laboratories. Find
out more about our outstanding works and contributions today at:
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for
things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits,
What You'll Do
- Provide strategic leadership in identifying
media/communications and marketing initiatives for targeted
- Develop and implement an integrated marketing and
communications plan, including social media, consistent with the
goals of the RNI.
- Work in tandem with the WVU Medicine Marketing and
Communications as the HSC UR team and others across WVU to develop
the plan and ensures consistency in branding, messaging, and
- Lead the RNI marketing and communications team, including
people in the RNI and associated centers and units who have
internal and external communications responsibilities.
- Develop and implement strategic outreach, marketing, and
communications plan to increase contacts with key external
stakeholders, including donors, and to grow and sustain patient
volumes of RNI’s clinical programs and services.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of targeted
communication and projects to reach specific audiences in
programming, development/fundraising, faculty recruitment, and
other outreach efforts. These include, but not limited to,
publications and other printed items, news media communications,
social media, web, and other electronic communication, as well as
communications related to school events.
- Write and/or edit talking points and speeches for the RNI
executive chair and other RNI executive leaders as requested.
- Write and oversee formatting of publications that emerge from
the Executive Chair’s office and the the RNI’s affiliated
- Oversee internal communication efforts, ensuring that faculty
and staff are provided information in an accurate and timely
- Ensure regular/consistent contact with target media; works with
appropriate RNI faculty and staff to analyze and prepare
appropriate responses to inquiries from the public, news media, and
members of the WVU and WVU Medicine communities. Utilizes
independent research of background information in the development
of effective responses.
- Based on objectives in the RNI’s strategic plan, develop
content for, update and maintain the RNI website, working with WVU
Medicine IT web staff.
- Coordinate all news media relations with WVU Medicine Marketing
and Communications and the HSC UR teams. When required, serve as
spokesperson for the RNI to local, state, and
national/international media. Provides input to select appropriate
representatives to respond to internal/external communications
requests. Prepare representatives for media interactions.
- Maintain frequent contact with RNI faculty members and
departments to solicit relevant information to highlight and
promote achievements through writing, editing, and designing of
feature articles, positioning statements, fact sheets, speeches,
talking point, annual reports and electronic presentations.
- Continually assesses communications plans and products for
- In conjunction with appropriate leadership at RNI and WVU
Medicine Marketing and Communications, oversees RNI’s overall
marketing and communication budget, including expenditures. Makes
budget recommendations and writes/presents proposals for future
marketing and communications programs related to the budget.
- Maintain knowledge of WVU Medicine communications standards,
branding, licensing and policies and procedures.
- Attendance at RNI events will be required, which may include
evening, weekend, and holiday assignments.
- Represent the RNI at key communicator meetings.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned and appropriate
for the role.
Bachelor’s degree is required in journalism, marketing, public
relations, communication, English or a related field. An equivalent
combination of education and experience may be considered.
Five (5) years of experience
- in a field related to marketing, public relations, or
- writing, interviewing, or project management.
One (1) year of experience
Demonstrated Ability in the following:
- Work in a highly matrixed reporting structure.
- Leadership, management, communication, and decision-making
- Exceptional oral/written communication and presentation
- Manage, coordinate and supervise multiple projects
- Work with multiple internal and external constituencies and
people of diverse backgrounds.
- Treat sensitive information with the appropriate level of
- Knowledge of and familiarity with West Virginia University and
- U se independent judgment when prioritizing work and evaluating
the criticality of various university issues while multitasking
other job duties.
- Work across disciplines and departments, as well as within the
office, to finish projects and/or achieve goals of the RNI.
- Seek out issues and stories to promote internally and
Ability to travel between campuses and to external events is
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources
to create a better future for our state and the world. As West
Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch
each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on
15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten
experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in
Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in
Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley
— the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8
million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are
the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to
work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new
heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just
another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu
. View current career
opportunities at careers.wvu.edu
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.