The Online and Distance Education Instructional Designer is
responsible for assisting faculty with the design, development,
implementation and management of online courses offered through
Husson University. This position works with a broad and growing
array of technology tools and has a deep understanding of learning
processes in order to serve as architect, project manager, partner,
mechanic, translator and guide for all aspects of instructional
design for Husson Online. This position will apply the appropriate
pedagogy, learning science, and technology tools necessary for the
design and implementation of excellent online courses. To ensure
and improve student-learning experiences, this position will
collaborate with others to integrate current educational
technologies with pedagogical quality to promote and leverage
data-informed instructional design and effective teaching
strategies. This position will gather, analyze, and apply student
data to inform and quantify the efficacy of instructional design
decisions and processes and to evaluate the effectiveness of course
and program designs, while ensuring accessibility compliance, and
assisting course instructors and student support staff as needed.
Leadership opportunities within the Instructional Design team may
be available. This position may qualify for remote work.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to design and
develop high quality, innovative online courses.
- Apply flexibility, understanding, and support to complicated
course designs with multiple stakeholders.
- Act as an expert resource for our Canvas learning management
system and related tools.
- Apply the appropriate learning theory and instructional theory
necessary for excellent online course design and
- Design online content in Canvas and integrate current
educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies
and to improve student-learning experiences.
- Develop online instructor and student support materials,
tutorials, orientations, help sessions, and workshops, as
- Communicate knowledge and application of effective pedagogy and
use of academic technologies.
- Facilitate and coordinate administrative aspects of course
development, delivery, and support.
- Act as a consultant to faculty and leadership on the process of
instructional design in teaching, research, and creative
- Provide instructional design services, consultation and
assistance with planning, coordinating and supporting course and
program designs, redesigns, content and evaluation.
- Appraise course creation quality in terms of design, writing,
- Develop and communicate course development and implementation
- Assist faculty and other subject matter experts in navigating
the Canvas learning management system and developed course content,
in coordination with Instructional Technology staff.
- Oversee all phases of the design process, aligning
instructional content to learning outcomes, while creating
instructionally sound and engaging learning opportunities, and
developing quality assessment tools.
- Oversee course design revisions and product improvements in
- Remain current and have a thorough understanding of the latest
industry technology tools and trends in online education.
- Work with Instructional Technology staff to develop new
services and test new academic and learning technologies.
Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in
Instructional Design or Education preferred. Experience:
Three to five years relevant experience working as an instructional
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in leading and managing multiple, complex projects,
and the ability to schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines
across these projects.
- Experience successfully working collaboratively on a project
with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong research, content analysis, and content preparation
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
with strong interpersonal and presentation skills, while working
with diverse content and populations.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Proven knowledge of instructional design strategies, along with
the current techniques, tools, and procedures used in the design,
development, and evaluation of technology-enhanced and online
courses and programs.
- Experience with graphic design and AV elements appropriate for
- Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Matters, Online Learning
Consortium and similar online learning rubrics.
- Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility
principles to ensure course content is accessible to all
- Proven ability to work effectively and communicate with subject
matter experts, peers, users and media developers.
- Demonstrated competence in working with learning management
systems, such as Canvas.