The Marketing Writer develops, writes, and edits content and
documents that support the university’s marketing initiatives –
from brief, engaging taglines to comprehensive, multiple-page
brochures and white papers.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Conceives and develops written material for clients that
support the university’s marketing and communications
- Writes, edits, and proofs marketing and promotional
assignments, such as brochures, flyers, newsletters, posters, ads,
reports, news and magazine features, web copy and recruitment
- Provides creative leadership in generating ideas for marketing
and communications projects that achieve strategic goals.
- Conducts informational interviews with administrators, faculty,
staff, donors, alumni, and students and retrieves information from
references sources (library, files, Internet, technical reports) to
determine project priorities and creatively develop and write
- Conducts independent research to prepare for writing project
- Ensures copy is readable, clear, consistent, accurate, factual,
and conforms to FGCU messaging priorities, branding guidelines, SEO
best practices and grammar and style standards.
- Reviews progress, evaluates results, implements new processes,
and promotes best practices.
- Identifies, develops and writes stories with news value for
FGCU360.com, FGCU360 Magazine, and external media. Ensures final
written pieces are complete, factually accurate, grammatically and
stylistically correct, succinct and engaging.
Additional Job Description
- Represents the department at meetings as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in marketing,
communication, or a related area
- Two years of professional full-time marketing writing or
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher and
- Portfolio of published marketing materials and articles.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Five years of related experience, knowledge of Associated Press
(A.P.) and institutional style, editorial expertise, and
- Proficiency in project management systems such as Basecamp,
Salary: $41,900 - Negotiable
- Knowledge of current and developing SEO strategies.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination
techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and
entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Knowledge of marketing techniques and promotional writing
- Knowledge of desktop publishing and basic graphic
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and
complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Excellent spelling, punctuation, grammar, and proofreading
skills to write and edit documents for accuracy, consistency of
format, and professional appearance and style.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
- Ability to work under pressure and meet close deadlines.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop creative solutions to
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all
- Ability to operate a personal computer for extended periods of
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high
standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best
practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to work independently and with team members on multiple
projects concurrently while consistently meeting deadlines.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.