ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL-SCIENCE TEACHER
Truman Middle College (TMC) is seeking a Full-Time Science Teacher.
TMC is an Alternative High School within the Youth Connection
Charter School Network, open to eligible youth between 16 to 21
years old. The alternative high school aspires to empower students
to rise above barriers in order to become successful college and
career ready individuals. Students learn to advocate for themselves
and overcome obstacles, working towards completing their high
school diploma and applying their knowledge and learned skills to
transition to higher education and fulfilling professions.
The Alternative High School Middle College Science Teacher position
is responsible for the instructional development and evaluation of
all science classes and the promotion of an academic environment
that is conducive with the institutional goals of the
- Contributes to the overall planning, coordinating and
implementing of instructional activities associated with each
- Follows and reviews curriculum and syllabus, and recommends
instructional changes and improvements.
- Teaches the following four scientific disciplines: Biology,
General Science, Chemistry and Frameworks.
- Obtains materials such as textbooks, workbooks, audiovisuals
and other ancillary materials and supplies.
- Prepares and maintains current and accurate student records of
attendance and academic progress.
- Attends and provides assistance with a variety of activities of
the student council and student review board.
WE OFFER: Excellent health and welfare benefit package
and long term savings and investment programs including 403(b)
& 457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State
University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation,
holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a
more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page
of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
6 months of hire.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry or General Science and
a basic understanding of the social dynamics of “at risk”
- Professional Education License (PEL) formerly Type 9 teaching
certificate required. Consideration will be given to candidates
with charter school certification.
- Must be self-directed, innovative and able to assess current
operations in an effort to develop practical action programs to
improve the functioning of the department.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with
the ability to interact effectively with students.
- Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse
environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact and
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!