Wheaton is a leading private, coeducational, liberal arts college
of 1800 students located in Norton, MA and within easy commuting
distance of Boston and Providence.
Director of Accessibility Services
Staff Work Schedule (hours/dates):
Academic Year Schedule (dates):
Filene Ctr Acad Adv & Career Svcs
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Director for Accessibility Services has primary responsibility
for: 1) advocating for equal access for students with disabilities
to all aspects of campus life (programs, services and activities)
as outlined by the ADA ; 2) providing academic support to students
with disabilities, and to faculty and staff in providing
accommodations and development of responses to these students; and
3) serving as a liaison between Accessibility Services and the
Counseling Center, Health Services, the Dean of Students Office,
Academic Advising, Admissions, Residence Life, and other offices on
campus. The Director supervises a 10 month Accessibility
Specialist. In addition, the Director serves as a member of the
leadership team of the Filene Center for Academic Advising and
Career Services, along with the Dean of Advising and the Director
for Career Services.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Psychology/Counseling or
Special Education, or a related field. At least 3-5 years of
experience working with students with disabilities, some of which
must be at the post-secondary level.
- Knowledge of physical, mobility, medical, psychological,
sensory, learning and developmental disabilities, including autism
spectrum disorder, and providing
reasonable accommodations for students in a selective,
post-secondary educational setting.
- Experience with academic advising and academic support program
- Experience implementing and maintaining assistive
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Management of sensitive information in a confidential and
- Current and professional knowledge base regarding ADA
legislation and case law,
including ethical and legal implications of 504/ ADA legislation.
- Familiarity with assistive technology for persons with
disabilities and the respective laws and standards.
- Current with changing assistive technologies related to
accommodations; facilitate assistive technology training and use by
- Strong academic advising skills.
- Flexible, innovative, collaborative, and a self-starter.
- Knowledge of and comfort with Wheaton College’s mission,
vision, and goals
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Google
platforms and Student.
- Information Systems (Accommodate and Banner preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or
be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform
the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable
accommodation, using some other combination of skills and
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within
commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have nearly
undergraduates from 40 U.S. States and more than 70 countries.
of our undergraduates are U.S. students of color and 11% are
citizens. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative
employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group
basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status,
information, or disability. In a continuing effort to maintain and
an intellectually diverse learning environment, the Department and
College actively encourages applications from women and members
Open Until Filled
Office of Human Resources
Special Instructions to Candidates:
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID -19 and as an integral
part of our public health and safety measures, Wheaton College
requires that all successful applicants hired provide proof of full
vaccination for COVID -19 at the time of employment, unless an
exemption from this policy is requested and approved. Applicants
believing that they need an accommodation of this policy because of
a disability, medical condition, or sincerely-held religious belief
should inform the Office of Human Resources after an offer of
employment is extended.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of References