Work as an Academic Advisor, assisting students who are pursuing
general education requires as they select a major, minor, and/or
degree of study. This position also advises students preparing to
transfer to other institutions. This position is housed in the
Academic Advisement Center; additional information about the Center
can be found online at https://advisement.utahtech.edu/
- Advise students in general education, transfer, and graduation
- Advise students preparing to transfer to other
- Meet with students for advisement, registration, and graduation
- Assist with advisement/recruitment/orientation sessions.
- Conduct interviews with eligible students preparing for
- Assist with the commencement program.
- Refer students to other agencies for assistance, such as
Financial Aid, Disability Resource Center, TRiO Program, Health
& Counseling Center, Community Outreach programs, etc.
- Participate in retention initiatives under the direction of
- Attend professional development opportunities for advisement
and serve on various university committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field required; Master's Degree
- Two years of advising or related experience required; higher
education advisement experience preferred.
- Proficient computer skills; willingness to learn new
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including the
ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to exercise critical human relations skills in
establishing and maintaining effective working relations with
- Familiarity with college admissions guidelines, standards, and
procedures, and higher education admissions counseling in
- Familiarity with Utah Tech University programs and offerings
- Background must show ability to positively relate to
multi-cultural students, first generation students, non-traditional
students, and students in transition.
professional staff (overtime-exempt) position. Annual salary of
$40,000 for Bachelor’s degree-qualified applicants and $43,000 for
Master’s degree-qualified applicants. Desired start date of July
2022. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start
date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and
wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate
tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as
paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See
under 'Benefits Summary' for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Application review begins
June 1 , 2022 .
Submit application materials
(including resume contents and contact information for three
professional references) and upload cover letter electronically.
If, because of a disability, you need special services or
facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the
Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Utah Tech University is an open,
inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution, committed to
exceptional student learning and success that has adopted an
instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a
culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and
staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented
learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911
as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, our
university is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red
rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and
featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational
opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120
miles), with amenities such as an international airport and
professional sporting teams.
Utah Tech University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of
higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230
programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates,
endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. We seek to recruit and
retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas,
possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and
vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive,
comprehensive, polytechnic university. Utah Tech University is an
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and
employees of the University are fully committed to Affirmative
Action and within its programs and activities, including in
admissions and employment. Utah Tech does not discriminate or
tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability,
status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by
University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or the University’s non-discrimination
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org ,
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com ,
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification.