The University of Colorado Law School encourages applications for a
Director for the Schaden Experiential Learning Program to lead
experiential education opportunities related to externships,
student lawyering competitions, and the volunteer public service
The Director interacts with a variety of experiential education
programs, focusing on those related to public service
opportunities, externships, and student competitions, and builds
expansive connections with Colorado Law students, faculty, staff,
and a wide range of people in the legal community, including local
and national legal employers, attorneys, leaders, academics, and
This role also provides budget oversight and serves as the advisor
for the Barristers’ Council, the student organization comprised of
the mock trial, moot court, and transactional law divisions. This
position recruits judges for Colorado Law’s signature competitions
including the Carrigan Cup Student Trial Competition and the
Rothgerber Moot Court Competition.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
We are an engaged, diverse, and inclusive community of students,
faculty, staff, and alumni who help one another succeed. Our
selective admissions process keeps our student body small, enabling
our faculty, staff, alumni, and community to invest deeply in each
student’s success. Because we take our responsibility to educate
and train future lawyers very seriously, our curriculum, research
centers, and experiential learning opportunities are designed to
prepare students for success in today’s changing legal
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Strategic Guidance and Planning
Cultivating External Relationships
- Develop and lead all aspects of a full range of high-quality
experiential learning opportunities, including legal externship
placement sites across a range of substantive legal areas, student
lawyering competitions, and volunteer public service legal
- Assess and refine the portfolio of experiential learning
opportunities annually to ensure that there is a robust range and
that the opportunities are pedagogically sound.
- Review and approve academic credit for externships and student
- Ensure that the Law School has a national presence related to
experiential learning, including pursuing opportunities for
Colorado Law to participate in and host national student lawyering
Curriculum, Teaching and Advising
- Represent Colorado Law as the primary administrator and liaison
for externship supervisors, externship adjunct faculty, and student
lawyering competition coaches.
- Build and maintain an extensive network of legal professionals,
including members of the judiciary and bar, and Colorado Law
alumni, to supervise externships, public service legal projects,
and coach and judge student lawyering competitions.
- Partner with the Law School’s advancement team to fundraise to
support experiential learning.
- Build and supervise all curricular components of Colorado Law’s
externship program and ensure the curriculum aligns with the Law
School Rules and with American Bar Association standards.
- Advise and guide adjunct faculty who teach the externship
- Teach the general externship seminar and the advanced
- Advise, guide and supervise students and serve as faculty
advisor for the student lawyer competition teams and the public
service lawyering program.
What You Should Know
- Supervise Schaden Program Assistant, including finding
opportunities for administrative staff’s professional
- Support the development of the Program Assistant's own
What We Can Offer
- This position supports a hybrid work modality with an
anticipated 3 days in the office and 2 remote days per week.
- Some evening and weekend work is required. Some travel to
student externship locations in Denver/Boulder area may be required
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $80,000 annually.
Relocation is available within Colorado Law guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be supportive. Be game-changing. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- A Juris Doctor degree.
- Two years of legal experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Familiarity with strategic planning processes, particularly in
- Ability to manage senior administrative responsibilities,
including oversight of multiple programs.
- Skilled at creating and fostering professional relationships
with internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with law students,
administrators, faculty, alumni, and community members.
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, multiple legal practice
- Possess a strong interest in experiential learning and public
- Ability to represent Colorado Law in a positive and
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and project
- Attention to detail, ability to follow through, and ability to
manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to promote an inclusive environment that reflects the
broad diversity and backgrounds represented by our students, staff,
faculty, and community members.
- Experience in the areas of legal education or legal
- Experience working for a higher education institution.
- Experience with legal experiential learning and public
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and
responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by 6/12/2022
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: