Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President of Content and
Storytelling, the Director of Social Media Storytelling will be
responsible for leading the institution's social media strategy
across platforms to showcase VCU’s distinct brand personality. This
is a key leadership position for the University Relations
The Director is responsible for bringing the brand personality to
life across all social channels and integrating organic social
efforts seamlessly with paid, earned and owned efforts. The
Director will collaborate with colleagues within the university,
health system and the Division of University Relations to share
institutional initiatives, and implement best practices to launch
multifaceted social media strategies and tactics to meet marketing
and communication goals. The Director will lead a team committed to
showcasing the brand story in ways that engage audiences, drive
enrollment growth and retention; boost reputational awareness and
protect the reputation of the institution.
As VCU’s integrated communications and marketing office, the
Division of University Relations is energized by diversity and
inclusion and thrives on collaboration and innovation. We reflect
the culture of the university and health system community in our
work. We leverage the power of our institutional knowledge to
deliver results, foster an equitable and supportive work
environment to empower our talent and work hard to tell impactful
stories about VCU and VCU Health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a communication and engagement strategy for all primary
university social media channels to effectively meet institutional
and division goals for audience affinity, growth and
- Supervise a team of social strategists and cultivate an intern
program; develops and fosters staff growth; promotes a culture of
collaboration that ignites creativity across the division.
- Lead the team to generate, edit, plan, publish and share
engaging content regularly, including creating and curating
stories, photos/images, video/clips, graphics and more.
- Develop campaigns and initiatives across each social media
channel to reach, engage and grow diverse audiences, including
prospective and current students and alumni, employees and
- Maintain an engaging and consistent voice that aligns with
- Collaborate with other units across the institution to ensure
brand consistency (i.e., personality, voice and aesthetics) across
all channels and platforms.
- Manage social communities and platforms, to include designing
content that facilitates social conversation; monitoring
discussions, listening, and responding to user queries.
- Alert senior leadership about emerging issues and crises.
Monitor social channels during emergencies, advise senior
leadership about the need to respond and collaborate on a response
- Suggest and implement new features and functionality to grow
brand affinity and support business goals.
- Establish key performance targets; track and analyze campaign,
content and platform performance; assess and translate data into
recommendations and plans for modifying and informing future
- Partner with the Executive Director for Executive
Communications to develop and maintain the president’s social media
strategy to represent the President as a thought-leader in higher
education, an engaged president and a promoter and influencer of
the VCU brand.
- Establish institution-wide best practices, social media
guidelines and processes.
- Monitor, report and advise on trends in social media tools,
applications, channels, design, and strategy.
- Lead an institution-wide group of social media communicators to
promote social media opportunities and provide guidance on
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates a track record in fostering a diverse and
inclusive environment through communications/marketing work,
operations and interpersonal relationships.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, journalism,
marketing, similar field, or equivalent experience. Master's degree
- Five (5) years of related experience in social media management
and content development with a demonstrated proficiency across
strategic planning, implementation and creativity in social
- One to three (1-3) years supervisory experience.
*Please include portfolio with your application
*Diversity statement required
Communications Administrator 1-3
Department: University Relations
- Ability to attend university-related events/activities as
needed for social media coverage (including evenings and weekends
- Ability to effectively balance and lead social marketing
strategies and creative brand storytelling; and implement social
media tactics seamlessly across platforms
- Excellent copywriting and copy-editing skills
- Highly effective communicator with the ability to deliver
creative content (text, image, and video) for diverse
- Understanding of content strategy, copywriting, graphic design,
layout, and publishing best practices and principles.
- Strong knowledge of communication and marketing
- Collaborative, with experience with online community
- Proficiency with social media tools and software
- Solid knowledge of SEO, keyword research, and Google
- Experience with social media reporting and analysis
- Strong attention to detail
- A problem solver
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the
ability to prioritize and follow through effectively, a track
record of achievement in meeting deadlines
- Proficient in visual storytelling (photos)
- Experience in creating and deploying video and digital
- Current with the latest digital technologies and social media
- Ability to effectively lead a team, and plan, delegate, and
supervise the work of others
Exemption Status: Exempt