About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative
colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive
Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of
Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic
success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus
into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and
skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's
degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in
humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment
includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from
across the U.S. and around the world.
Salve Regina University recently completed its Strategic Compass
initiative, which serves to define the foundational values and
principles that will guide the institution as it moves beyond its
75th anniversary. As part of their educational experience, students
may expect a rigorous, transformative education delivered through
an inclusive community that values diversity and welcomes every
individual with kindness, dignity, and respect.
The educational goals of the Strategic Compass will be achieved
through a named signature experience designed to support students
in becoming their best selves as they progress through their chosen
course of study. Each year, students will be exposed to academic
programming and formative experiences focused on a specific theme:
First Year (foundation), Sophomore Year (exploration), Junior Year
(immersion), and Senior Year (integration). As Salve advanvces its
university-wide planning effort, the inaugural Executive Director
will serve in a critical role in leading the successful design,
launch, ongoing operations, and expansion of the signature
experience initiatives in the broader University framework. The
Executive Director will ensure that all aspects of the strategic
initiative are carried out effectively and are continuously
improved/enhanced, that results meet University standards, and that
the long-term viability and effectiveness of the signature
experience are assured.
The Executive Director will work closely with university
leadership, co-chairs from Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and
Mission Integration, various design and project teams, and members
of the departments that will be supporting this strategic
initiative. The Executive Director will be responsible for mapping
the overall strategy of the signature experience and for
establishing the necessary systems, structures, and processes to
advance the University's vision for this strategic initiative. This
will involve building collaborations with internal stakeholders as
well as creating relationships with external partners in the
surrounding communities. Dealing with people at all levels of the
Salve community, the Executive Director will promote the signature
experience programs to inspire enthusiasm, identify linkages, and
help build a culture that supports the vision and goals of the
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Marshall, coordinate, and manage resources across the
University as well as establish and lead project teams of various
sizes and compositions.
- Leveraging and integrating existing programs, structures, and
resources, build out the First Year Experience. Coordinate the work
of existing design teams as they develop and launch pilots for the
First-Year signature experience. Establish common themes and
cohesive connections across individual First Year programs and
signature events. Ensure that all aspects of the First-Year pilots
and other signature programs are carried out effectively and direct
the continuous improvement and expansion/growth of such
- Develop and launch pilot programs for the Sophomore Year
experience including Sophomore Studios and Sophomore Summer, with
participating faculty, staff, and student leaders; build out a
scalable model for the extension of these pilots for every Salve
- Establish a Signature Experience Steering Committee to advise
and design, develop, and assess successive iterations of the Salve
- Manage the development and oversee the smooth operation of the
program's communication activities. Oversee the design and
distribution of program materials, including communications,
guides, training resources, and marketing materials, and managing
their updating and revision, as needed. Oversee design and
functionality of program web site for communication and resources
- Assist with establishing a distinct brand and identity for
program communications and products, ensuring accurate and
consistent messaging across program communications
- Establish assessment protocol and collaborate with others on
the development and tracking of measurable goals and outcomes for
program activities; utilize assessments to drive future program
development and share the impact of current offerings.
- Hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate new staff as the program
- Support a leadership philosophy that values diversity, equity
and inclusion and promotes teamwork and mutual collaboration.
- Represent the signature experience initiatives to the broader
University and serve on university-wide committees and task
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
FUNCTIONAL AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
- Relevant BA/BS degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Seven to ten years of increasing responsibility in
administration or relevant experience is required.
- Demonstrated success in a comparable role required (i.e., one
that requires a similar skill set).
- Experience with designing, piloting, implementing, and scaling
up new programs and services, which involves engaging a wide range
of stakeholders, coordinating across various design teams,
departments, and business units, and creating systems to organize,
track, and ensure successful results.
- Experience at a similar institution or with faculty and
administrative functions in higher education is a plus.
- Previous management and supervision of administrative and
business function staff as well as experience working with senior
executives is essential.
- Understanding of and commitment to the Mercy, Catholic mission
of Salve Regina University
- Demonstrated ability to work in a demanding fast-pasted
customer service focused environment while managing multiple
complex projects and competing priorities is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to
effectively communicate complex concepts to wide range of
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to: build strong
relationships, influence without authority, foster collaboration
across diverse groups of constituents, and build consensus.
- Strong presentation and skills and success with facilitating a
wide range of meetings and work sessions.
- Ability to think and operate strategically at all levels of the
organization. The ability to deal effectively with the "big
picture" and to attend to details.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to develop innovative
solutions and programs.
- Strong project and process management skills and ability to
manage/balance multiple large-scale projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
and the ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple
- Commitment to and demonstrated success with incorporating
continuous improvement principles to program operations as well as
an ability to guide and support other to do the same.
- Expertise in assessment and evaluation is helpful.
- Excellent supervisory skills; ability to guide, manage and
motivate internal staff. Ability to lead cross-functional project
- Competency in budget development and management.
- Strong computer skills, including: MS Word, MS Excel, MS
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in
employment and education to all employees, students and applicants.
No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or
harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion,
disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran
status, genetic information or any other basis protected by
applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve
Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission
policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other
University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it
does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational
programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making
its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant
with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty
positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment
background checks and reference checks are required of successful
candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.