Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
About the Department/Unit
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station in the greater
Washington, D.C. area, and DCist is our digital outlet for local
news. We provide in-depth and enterprise reporting alongside
essential daily news and information that aims to reflect and serve
the diverse communities of our region. We believe in news as a
public service and put our current and future audience at the
center of our work.
The Audience Producer serves as the primary producer for DCist and
WAMU’s editorial social media accounts, promoting our journalism in
a consistent, engaging voice and growing our following. This role
also manages other direct communication with audience members,
including the comment section on our websites. The Audience
Producer effectively uses analytics tools to make data-informed
decisions about story promotion, new initiatives, and experimental
content. This position also works on additional engagement and
digital production tasks, such as homepage management.
Occasionally, the Audience Producer supports other Audience team
members in their work, as needed, serving as back-up producer of
newsletters, or in facilitating events.
1. Manage social platforms and presence
- Write and schedule posts for official DCist and WAMU social
media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), with a particular
emphasis on resurfacing content and promoting evergreen stories.
Establish a consistent, creative, and (when appropriate) witty
voice on these platforms, mirroring our brands’ identities.
2. Engage audiences
- In collaboration with the Engagement Producer, identify ways to
connect with the audiences and members of WAMU and DCist where they
are. Work with reporters and editors to directly connect their work
to the needs of the community.
3. Conduct research and analysis
- Work in collaboration with Growth Editor to evaluate a range of
analytics to inform decision-making around story promotion and
future editorial content. Advocate for purpose-built content based
4. Produce newsletters
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Serve as the secondary producer of a daily local newsletter
Required Education and Experience
- Full Time
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
- This is a union-eligible position.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- 3-5 years’ experience writing or producing social media in a
professional journalism environment.
- Ability to write in a creative, conversational, and distinctive
voice while still maintaining accuracy and adhering to editorial
- Strong editorial judgment, a journalistic compass and the
ability to make independent editorial decisions on behalf of
- Deep understanding of established and emerging social media
platforms, with knowledge of how to best leverage each tool for
optimum audience growth and engagement.
- An appreciation and comfort level with breaking news
- Attention to detail and the ability to write and copy-edit
- Keen understanding of how to use analytics to guide editorial
- Experience and appreciation for the emerging genre of
newsletter writing. The ideal candidate is comfortable handling all
aspects of a newsletter: writing, editing and producing.
- Understanding of best practices for growing a newsletter list
using everything from partnerships to content to leveraging
analytics and email newsletter best practices.
- Creativity and a comfort level with experimentation and
- A collaborative and team-focused attitude, with a desire to do
your work with empathy, generosity and good humor.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive .
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: