About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative
colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive
Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of
Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic
success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus
into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and
skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's
degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in
humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment
includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from
across the U.S. and around the world.
The Area Coordinator is a full-time, 12-month position providing
administrative, supervisory, programming, support, and conflict
resolution skills to students in a unique residence hall setting on
a historic oceanfront campus. The Area Coordinator is a live-in
member of the Residence Life staff and works collaboratively with
students in developing a comfortable and inclusive living
environment with multiple and diverse communities. The Area
Coordinator provides assistance, guidance, and support to students
and refers students in need to appropriate on-campus resources, and
supervises Resident Advisors. The Area Coordinator is an active
participant in the campus conduct process, and provides on-duty
coverage to a residence population of over 1,200 students. The Area
Coordinator demonstrates a commitment to building inclusive
communities that focus on learning, leadership, and sensitivity to
people of different and diverse backgrounds, and possesses a
commitment to Salve Regina University's Mission and the Mercy
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
- Responsible for overall supervision and management of assigned
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate 10-14 Resident
- Work and communicate effectively with the Residence Life team,
Facilities, Housekeeping, and other key campus constituencies to
provide students with an exemplary campus living experience.
- Implement and coordinate University programs designed to enrich
the academic and social quality of life within the residence
- Conduct weekly area student staff meetings.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled individual supervision meetings
with each Resident Advisor.
- Serve as a conduct hearing officer, and effectively articulate
the student code of conduct and community standards to
- Coordinate one or more functions within the Office of Residence
Life (e.g. Room selection, RA training, RA selection, etc. as
- Assist students with personal, social, and academic development
through individual meetings, programming, and maintaining
visibility in residential area.
- Participate in the year-round weekly Area Coordinator
professional staff on-call rotation.
- Communicate effectively with Campus Safety and Security
personnel and the Administrator on-call to provide support to
students when responding to incidents.
- Complete Housing Operations tasks for assigned area including
check-in/check-out, room condition reports, damage billing, room
- Implements on-going staff development and training for student
- Participate in professional staff development opportunities to
enhance skills and knowledge related to residence life and student
- Complete administrative tasks including review and follow up
related to RA weekly reports, duty logs, accountability worksheet,
- Building community among students living the areas supervised
through intentional conversations and programming.
Valid driver's license and insured vehicle.
This position is subject to both inside and outside work.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree in Student Personnel or related field is
- A working knowledge of residence hall living is required.
- Must possess a strong ability to work effectively,
collaboratively, and cooperatively with faculty, staff and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required, with
the ability to interpret and communicate institutional policies,
plans, objectives, rules and regulations to Resident Advisors and
- Possess an understanding of and commitment to the Mercy,
Catholic mission and values.
- Possess a demonstrated sensitivity to students, staff, and
faculty of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to, race,
religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, economic status,
geographic origin, and ethnicity.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in
employment and education to all employees, students and applicants.
No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or
harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion,
disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran
status, genetic information or any other basis protected by
applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve
Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission
policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other
University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it
does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational
programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making
its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant
with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty
positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment
background checks and reference checks are required of successful
candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.