Campus Safety Officer (on call)
- Phillips Exeter Academy
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- May 12, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Auxiliary Services, Safety & Security
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Provides safety services that assist the campus community in maintaining order and/or improving the personal safety of the students, faculty, staff and guests and ensures the security of Academy property.
- Provides high-level, professional and courteous service through interaction with the Academy community via personal contact, telephone service and timely radio dispatch services.
- Immediately responds to all calls for emergency service or dispatches other necessary Academy personnel or equipment and Exeter police, fire and emergency medical personnel.
- Answers incoming calls on a multi-line switchboard, the Campus Safety phone line as well as the elevator emergency phone and takes the appropriate information and/or makes proper connections.
- Immediately makes necessary notifications to the Academy community via several Emergency Notification Systems as well as to a supervisor and/or key Academy personnel in the event of major incidents that occur on and/or around campus.
- Conducts vigilant patrols of Academy property to ensure a safe and secure campus.
- Investigates incidents as assigned and completes detailed and accurate reports both verbally and in writing.
- Ensures the safety and security of students, faculty and staff by identifying and responding to hazards in a prompt and proficient manner.
- Inspects all campus buildings, doors, gates, windows and points of entry to Academy property to ensure that unauthorized persons are not able to gain entry to the premises.
- Responds to inquiries and furnishes information on campus activities, organizations, key personnel, administrative/academic offices and locations or transfers callers to offices that can provide information.
- Examines all fire extinguishers on a monthly basis to ensure readiness and compliance with state and local fire regulations.
- Assists faculty and administration in enforcing Academy safety rules, regulations and policies.
- Maintains a pleasant and professional rapport with Academy departments and personnel as well as with the Town of Exeter and other outside agencies.
- Maintains a thorough daily log of activities and assorted reports for each assigned shift.
- Monitors Academy property for safety hazards and reports all violations or hazards.
- May handle hazardous materials in the work area and will be required to wear personal protective equipment as appropriate for the work assigned.
- Adheres to the established policies and guidelines of the Academy as well as the General Orders of the Office of Campus Safety Services.
Incumbent is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff. External contacts may include parents, outside organizations, visitors and local community neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Associate’s degree preferred.
- Completion of CPR/AED and First Aid certification training within 60 days of hire.
- Full-time staff must complete Campus Safety Training from Training Academy held annually.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Customer service experience desirable.
- Experience in an institutional or campus setting preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to prepare and effectively present both oral and written information concerning activities and operations to internal and external constituents.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Knowledge of emergency management concepts and practices to include prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
- Knowledge of federal and state codes and regulations relating to safety and security, fire codes and emergency management and compliance.
- Knowledge building/campus emergency procedures including but not limited to evacuations, fire drills, illness, and life safety equipment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust and credibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Ability to remain standing or seated for extended periods of time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, lift and transport up to 50lbs without assistance.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- * Essential personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed directly by designated personnel during emergency events or inclement weather.
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and adhere to the appearance guidelines.
- Maintain safety and security physical requirements.
- Must abide by all guidelines as listed in the general orders.
- Must complete a harassment prevention seminar and boundary training seminar within 30 days of employment.
- Must complete an in-house field training program during the first 20 shifts.
- Must successfully complete a one-week campus safety academy program (off site).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert