Provides safety services that assist the campus community in
maintaining order and/or improving the personal safety of the
students, faculty, staff and guests and ensures the security of
Degree of Independent Action Performed
- Provides high-level, professional and courteous service through
interaction with the Academy community via personal contact,
telephone service and timely radio dispatch services.
- Immediately responds to all calls for emergency service or
dispatches other necessary Academy personnel or equipment and
Exeter police, fire and emergency medical personnel.
- Answers incoming calls on a multi-line switchboard, the Campus
Safety phone line as well as the elevator emergency phone and takes
the appropriate information and/or makes proper connections.
- Immediately makes necessary notifications to the Academy
community via several Emergency Notification Systems as well as to
a supervisor and/or key Academy personnel in the event of major
incidents that occur on and/or around campus.
- Conducts vigilant patrols of Academy property to ensure a safe
and secure campus.
- Investigates incidents as assigned and completes detailed and
accurate reports both verbally and in writing.
- Ensures the safety and security of students, faculty and staff
by identifying and responding to hazards in a prompt and proficient
- Inspects all campus buildings, doors, gates, windows and points
of entry to Academy property to ensure that unauthorized persons
are not able to gain entry to the premises.
- Responds to inquiries and furnishes information on campus
activities, organizations, key personnel, administrative/academic
offices and locations or transfers callers to offices that can
- Examines all fire extinguishers on a monthly basis to ensure
readiness and compliance with state and local fire
- Assists faculty and administration in enforcing Academy safety
rules, regulations and policies.
- Maintains a pleasant and professional rapport with Academy
departments and personnel as well as with the Town of Exeter and
other outside agencies.
- Maintains a thorough daily log of activities and assorted
reports for each assigned shift.
- Monitors Academy property for safety hazards and reports all
violations or hazards.
- May handle hazardous materials in the work area and will be
required to wear personal protective equipment as appropriate for
the work assigned.
- Adheres to the established policies and guidelines of the
Academy as well as the General Orders of the Office of Campus
Incumbent is expected to work with a high level of independence and
autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and
judgment in decisions impacting staff and department
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office,
administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff.
External contacts may include parents, outside organizations,
visitors and local community neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Associate’s degree preferred.
- Completion of CPR/AED and First Aid certification training
within 60 days of hire.
- Full-time staff must complete Campus Safety Training from
Training Academy held annually.
Skills & Knowledge
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Customer service experience desirable.
- Experience in an institutional or campus setting
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to prepare and effectively present both oral and
written information concerning activities and operations to
internal and external constituents.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Knowledge of emergency management concepts and practices to
include prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response, and
- Knowledge of federal and state codes and regulations relating
to safety and security, fire codes and emergency management and
- Knowledge building/campus emergency procedures including but
not limited to evacuations, fire drills, illness, and life safety
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
- Ability to remain standing or seated for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, lift and transport up
to 50lbs without assistance.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- * Essential personnel are required to report to or
remain at work if instructed directly by designated personnel
during emergency events or inclement weather.
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and
adhere to the appearance guidelines.
- Maintain safety and security physical requirements.
- Must abide by all guidelines as listed in the general
- Must complete a harassment prevention seminar and boundary
training seminar within 30 days of employment.
- Must complete an in-house field training program during the
first 20 shifts.
- Must successfully complete a one-week campus safety academy
program (off site).