Associate Professor or Assistant Professor
Basic Science Program
University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St.
Location: UMHS campus in St. Kitts, West
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St. Kitts (UMHS)
invites applications for a faculty position in Histology at all
ranks. UMHS is a state of the art medical school located on the
exotic Caribbean Island of St. Kitts. Faculty have a unique
opportunity to become involved in the growth and success of the
institution, and most importantly the opportunity to educate and
nurture a new generation of physicians prepared to meet the 21st
century health care delivery in a rapidly changing world.
The successful candidate will be responsible for team teaching a
course in Histology offered in the first year. The UMHS calendar
year has three fifteen week semesters, with two to three weeks
break between semesters for faculty leave. Responsibilities
- Developing and providing students with approved syllabi and
- Organizing, preparing, and regularly updating course
- Delivering effective lectures in the classroom and laboratory
utilizing a variety of teaching techniques and state of the art
- Preparing and administering examinations, grading in a timely
manner, and providing feedback to students.
- Focusing on student success by being available to students
during non-teaching time.
- Serving on faculty committees.
- Supervising students in a variety of activities, including but
not limited to, problem based learning activities, human-computer
simulation activities in the UMHS virtual hospital ward, and
activities in local clinical settings.
Histology 5 credits This course centers on the study of the
microscopic structure of normal human cells, tissues, and organs.
Virtual microscopy is used to study the structure of basic tissue
types and their integration into organs and organ systems. The
lectures correlate microscopic and gross anatomy with basic
histophysiology and function of organ systems. On completion, the
student must be able to identify, describe, and give function of
cells, tissues, structures, and organs of the human body presented
via lecture and digital imagery. Students must complete specific
performance objectives which accompany individual lecture segments,
and, where appropriate, be able to integrate histology with other
classes of the curriculum.
- US tax free foreign earned income up to ninety thousand dollars
- Health Insurance plan, University paid for employee and
available to spouse and children at employee's expense
- Participation in faculty continuing education or national
conference in the US once annually.
- Modern, state of the art campus and facilities in which to
teach and conduct research.
- Must have a passion for teaching
- Minimum of an earned Ph.D. in Histology from an accredited
graduate school in the U.S., Canada, or the U.K.
- Three to five years experience teaching Histology in a U.S.,
Canadian, or U.K. medical program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in
About UMHS: UMHS
offers a traditional four year Allopathic Doctor of Medicine
leading to the M.D. degree. The university operates year round and
offers three semesters per calendar year which start in January,
May, and September. Students complete the Basic Science Program at
the UMHS at our state of the art campus in St Kitts. The fifth
semester occurs at the UMHS campus in Portland, Maine. Students
complete their third year of core clinical rotations and fourth
year of elective rotations in one of our many affiliated,
accredited teaching hospitals throughout the United States. To
graduate, students must successfully complete the UMHS medical
program and pass the USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS. UMHS
graduates are eligible to apply for a US or Canadian residency and
subsequently may practice medicine in the United States and
UMHS utilizes innovative teaching techniques such as a 24-bed
virtual hospital, small class sizes with individualized attention,
and the use of technology to enhance instruction. The faculty is
highly credentialed and recruited primarily from the United
Send letter of interest, CV, and references to:
Dr. Jerry Thornton, Executive Vice President
and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
See more at: http://www.umhs-sk.org