Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Official TSU Title
COORDINATOR OUTREACH COMMUNICATIONS
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
Under general supervision supports the Director for the Center for
Justice Research ( CJR ) to promote the various initiatives of the
Center for Justice Research, including media launches, events,
partnerships, and the CJR staff, as well as making the public award
of CJR research and programs. plans, coordinates and manages the
department activities. Counsels program participants and implements
Essential Duties Summary
- Develops, implements, and coordinates program activities.
Writes and placement of blog posts and editing and proofreading of
CJR research reports, coordinating media launch events and
- Assists in the planning, development and achievement of
established goals and objectives for programs, projects, events or
activities of the department. Secures CJR research and speaking
engagements key forums and events. Write blogs and articles for CJR
websites, and content for CJR’s social accounts where necessary.
Drafts and placement of Op-Eds and featured articles
- Supervises, coordinates and directs activities and work of
interns and/or students. Organizes CJR events, securing high level
speakers and generating appropriate interest and publicity.
- Represents the department at various University or community
meetings and special events to promote existing and new programs,
projects, events or activities. Develops and tracks relationships
with journalists and news agencies. Develops relationships with the
necessary outlets for regular discussion of key issues related to
CJR . Maintains database of think tanks and media contacts,
- Composes, reviews and distributes correspondence. Helps develop
collaborative relationships with relevant think tanks,
intergovernmental organizations, NGOs and academic
- Gathers data, researches information, and generates reports on
program status and activities. Establishes and maintains
departmental files, records and reports. Formulates procedures for
systematic retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal
of files and records.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
$48,273.00 - $60,341.00
Bachelor’s degree or higher. Master’s degree preferred.
University degree in communication/journalism/international
relations/political sciences or closely related field.
Valid Texas Driver’s License preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Policies, procedures, and practices.
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
- Problem-solving and decision-making. Detail oriented
- Multitasking and time management. Problem-solving and
- Coordinating work of others. Internal and external
- Planning activities. Strong organizational.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Prepare detailed reports. Perform and prioritize multiple tasks
- Work independently.
- Communicate effectively.
- Build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board
members, external partners and donors.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience.
- Show increasing responsibilities in public affairs,
communications and related fields, specifically demonstrating
capabilities to effectively write, edit and present public
information on complex subjects for print and digital media,
preferably at local, state, and national level.
- Experience in developing content that may utilize social media,
multimedia, apps and web publishing tools.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
- Limited standing and/or walking.
- Handling light weight objects.
- Using or carrying equipment.
- Stoop, bend or lift.
Posting Detail Information
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree in
communication/journalism/international relations/political sciences
or closely related field? Master’s degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master's Degree
- None of the above
- * Do you have one (1) to three (3) years of experience?
- * Do you have experience in developing content that may utilize
social media, multimedia, apps and web publishing tools?
- * Do you have the capability to effectively write, edit and
present public information on complex subjects for print and
digital media, preferably at local, state, and national level?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Other Document
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3