POSITION TITLE: Groundskeeper
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Roads and Grounds
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 1A
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $15.51 per hour
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Groundskeeper works with a team to water, mow, and maintain campus
grounds as directed. Performs routine groundskeeper functions of
the assigned common areas; reports needed repairs and/or
maintenance to the appropriate party. Will also sweep parking lots
and roadways, pick up trash, and may assist on other projects as
directed. Work is primarily outdoors and will involve the use of
power equipment such as lawnmowers, edger, string trimmer, and leaf
blowers. Assures assigned work is completed in a professional
efficient manner. Accountable for prompt, efficient customer
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. General upkeep of the exterior campus facilities.
2. Snow removal from campus roads, parking lots and
3. Prepare for athletic and other special events on campus.
4. Operate commercial mowers, industrial tractors/loaders,
trailers, sprayers, chain saws, 4x4 trucks, dump trucks, backhoe,
string trimmers, irrigation equipment, utility vehicles and all
5. Apply herbicides, insecticides and fertilizers.
6. Maintain all Grounds Division equipment and inventory equipment,
tools, materials and supplies.
7. Implement and maintain campus landscapes.
8. Report all damage of exterior campus facilities and equipment to
the Grounds Superintendent.
9. Receive training for Grounds care.
10. This position will require 24-hour on-call status during snow
removal season (approx. Mid-November to Mid-April).
11. Other duties as assigned.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must possess a valid Illinois Pesticide Operator's License or
obtain such license within the ninety (90) calendar day
3. Must possess and maintain a minimum of a valid class "C" Non-CDL
Illinois Driver's License or obtain such license within the ninety
(90) calendar day probationary period.
4. High degree of mechanical ability in equipment repair.
5. Must pass physical examination including lifting 50 lbs. from
ground to waist high. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift
above ground to a height of 30 feet.
6. Ability to communicate effectively.
7. Ability to serve as a crew leader for a culturally diverse
8. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
9. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Associate’s degree in Ornamental Horticulture.
2. Two (2) years of successful experience in a related
3. Midwest Ecological Prescription Burn Crew Member
4. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
5. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. 20- 28 hours per week.
EQUIPMENT AND/OR MACHINES USED:
1. Power equipment such as edger, leaf blowers, commercial mowers,
industrial tractors/loaders, trailers, sprayers, chain saws, 4x4
trucks, dump trucks, backhoe, string trimmers, irrigation
equipment, utility vehicles and all related equipment.
1. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use
hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb
ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear,
push/pull equipment and supplies.
2. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular
basis with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. is required.
3. Vision requirements include close and distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
4. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a
height of 30 feet.
1. Work is indoors/outdoors.
2. The employee must be able to work safely in an environment
containing chemicals, landscaping materials, dust and noise.
3. Frequently required to work under inclement weather
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and
occasionally loud. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift to
heights of approximately 30 feet.
5. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while
maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.