Part-Time Librarian, Library
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- May 2, 2022
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Established in 2012, Lone Star College-University Park has been recognized nationally and internationally for its innovation, as well as its focus on student access and success. Conveniently located off SH 249 in the heart of northwest Houston, Lone Star College-University Park is known as the "community's college," providing students with highly affordable degree and certificate programs that transfer seamlessly to four-year universities or lead to direct employment. Campus facilities include the Center for Science & Innovation, the Energy & Manufacturing Institute, Learning Innovation Labs and the Geology Rock Wall. Dr. Shah Ardalan has been president of LSC-University Park since its founding.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (TX 249 and Louetta Road), Houston, TX 77070.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Promotes and supports student learning. Responsible for providing and disseminating information services in support of the college's mission to provide quality educational programs to a diverse student population. Position's role encompasses the general areas of learning facilitation, personal and professional development, and institutional and community service. Reference services may include developing or acquiring instructional materials and providing assistance to the college community in the use of research technology and materials. Position contributes to the educational environment of the college by teaching information literacy and providing support for classroom learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Instructs students, faculty, and other library users in accessing and using print, audio-visual, and electronic information resources
- Plans and develops a variety of instructional materials using appropriate technologies that will assist students in meeting their research needs
- Promotes the use of general and subject-oriented print and electronic research guides and other instructional materials
- Plans, organizes, and delivers research instruction and other programming
- Maintains a study atmosphere conducive to student learning
- Evaluates, acquires, and provides access to information resources in a variety of formats to support student learning
- Maintains professional working relationships with students, colleagues, and other library users
- Assists students and faculty by supporting specific programs or course research needs
- Provides reference assistance during the day, evenings, and weekends to meet student, faculty, and community research needs
- Interprets policies and procedures for library users
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skills in library technology
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and community
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Work schedule may include weekdays, weekends, or evening
- Master's degree in Library Science/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Minimum 3 years of library experience in higher education, preferably at a community college
- Thorough knowledge of library automation systems, including circulation and acquisitions functions
Hourly Pay Rate is $26.70.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert