Distance Education Faculty Open Rank in Environmental
Distance Education Dean of Environmental Conservation and
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Distance Education Faculty Open Rank in Environmental
Science/Climate Change teaches and designs undergraduate-level
courses for Unity Colleges bachelors degree in Environmental
Science and Climate Change. Courses include, but are not limited to
The Warming Planet: Understanding Climate Change, Natural Resource
Law and Policy, as well as Environmental Remediation and
Toxicology. This position requires a record of scholarship in the
field of wildlife conservation and a strong passion for teaching
courses designed to prepare learners for 21st century
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Develop and teach environmentally focused Environmental Studies
and Climate Change courses, general education, and other courses as
- Develop up to 4 courses per year.
- Be knowledgeable in the appropriate delivery of the content in
an online format.
- Depending on faculty rank, teach up to 480 student workload
credits per calendar year (~8 courses/year) as assigned.
- Conduct scholarship at a regional or national level resulting
in publication in peer-reviewed professional journals, delivery of
papers at professional association meetings, coordination and
implementation of research programs, and/or professional
- Work with Dean to assess and evaluate courses and programs in
- Use different learning modes and types of technology to engage
students in an online environment.
- Guide capstone projects in assigned programs as needed.
- Participate in faculty governance as assigned.
- Help recruit students into the Distance Education
- Maintain currency in online course delivery and
- Demonstrate a high degree of commitment to customer service and
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D., DVM or other equivalent
terminal degree plus: training or experience in the field of
- Substantial experience working in the field and disciplines
such as pedology, glaciology, meteorology, and toxicology.
- Record of scholarly research through publications,
presentations and/or professional practice.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong
- Familiarity with technical terminology as appropriate.
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with ability to
work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Experience teaching online courses in an adult
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
At Unity College, we dont just accept difference we
celebrate it, we support it,
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students,
and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is
an affirmative action employer.