Distance Education Faculty Instructor of Geographic
Distance Education Dean of Environmental Conservation and
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Distance Education Undergraduate Instructor of Geographic
Information Systems (GIS) is a Distance Education (DE) faculty
member that will teach environmentally focused GIS, general
education, and other courses as assigned. This position will assist
in assessing and evaluating courses and programs in appropriate
discipline as well as participate in assessing program outcomes.
The Distance Education Undergraduate Instructor of GIS will act as
the point person for all GIS-related student support, plus be
responsible for the development and refreshing of GIS courses
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Develop and teach environmentally focused GIS courses, general
education, and other courses as assigned.
- Be knowledgeable in the appropriate delivery of the content in
an online format.
- Teach a minimum of 600 student workload credits per calendar
year (~10 courses/year) as assigned.
- Work with the Dean to assess and evaluate courses and programs
in appropriate discipline.
- Use different learning modes and types of technology to engage
students in an online environment.
- Guide capstone projects in assigned programs as needed.
- Participate in faculty governance as assigned.
- Help recruit students into the Distance Education
- Participate in assessment of program outcomes.
- Maintain currency in online course delivery and
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Masters degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or other
equivalent degree; Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience teaching online courses in an adult market.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including
facility with technical terminology appropriate to the
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with ability to
work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
At Unity College, we dont just accept difference we
celebrate it, we support it,
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students,
and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is
an affirmative action employer.