The Associate Vice President for Finance & Controller (AVPF)
reports directly to the Vice President for Finance &
Administration (VP/CFO), who is the chief fiscal &
administrative officer of the College. The AVPF serves as the
lead accounting and compliance official for the College and works
to ensure that core financial processes are maintained, and to
promote the highest standards of accountability, transparency,
integrity, support, and service. The AVPF serves as Controller and
manages all aspects of the College’s accounting activity,
maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure adequate
safeguarding of College assets, and providing for preparation of
all financial reporting in compliance with College policies and
procedures, governmental regulations, Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board
(GASB) requirements. The AVPF is also responsible for
assisting the VP/CFO with (a) financial and administrative
planning, analysis, and reporting; and (b) direction of the
College's comprehensive business areas and financial functions,
including but not limited to employee payroll and benefits,
procurement, investments, banking and cash management, debt service
and bond financing, student accounts receivable, insurance and risk
management, auxiliary services, grants financial management, fixed
assets, regulatory compliance, component unit accounting, and
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain a robust and reliable system of accounting technology,
tools, controls, processes and procedures that will ensure
accurate, detailed accounting records in support of all College
operating, managerial, and compliance needs.
- Coordinate the flow of financial data through automated systems
or other means, culminating in accurate and timely periodic and
interim financial statements and reports, in accordance with
GAAP/GASB, as required by the Board of Trustees, internal
management, external stakeholders, and other government and
- Provide supervision and leadership for assigned accounting and
finance staff, including oversight of professional development,
annual evaluations, and personnel/policy recommendations.
- Direct and monitor the College’s banking, cash management and
debt service arrangements, liquidity position, and investment
- Monitor and provide for the correct assessment, collection, and
depositing of all tuition, fees, and other monies due to the
college, and the correct disbursement of college funds.
- Serve as primary liaison to the external audit team and the
state Department of Finance & Administration, responding to
information requests and ensuring timely, accurate completion of
all audit schedules and responses to audit reports and other
- Attend College Leadership meetings as needed, collaborate with
other senior leaders in shaping operational and strategic plans,
and serve on other committees as appropriate.
- Provide assistance, consultation and analyses to the VP/CFO on
a wide range of fiscal and operational matters, including financing
special projects, bond issues, progressive development of policies
and procedures, and implementation of best practices for improved
efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Perform other additional duties assigned by the Vice President
for Finance & Administration.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (or Business with an accounting
emphasis) from an accredited program, with at least five years of
progressively responsible full-time experience in financial,
accounting, and/or auditing roles, including significant experience
in the use and administration of automated accounting systems,
financial reporting, computer and web-based
applications/software/tools, and supervision of staff within
- Masters or other advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or
Business and/or professional certification(s) in accounting such as
CPA, CMA, CGMA.
- Experience in higher education financial/accounting
administration, including knowledge of fund accounting and higher
education accounting principles.
- Working knowledge of higher education ERP (integrated financial
accounting software) systems.
- Experience working within programs and systems of Arkansas
state governmental bodies and agencies, and/or other state or
- Well-developed capabilities and experience in financial
auditing and analysis.
- Excellent oral, aural, and written presentation and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member and
interact effectively with employees and students.