Lead Software Developer
Director of Information Technology
Information Technology Admin
NG - New Gloucester
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology (IT) and
working closely with the other members of the IT team, the Lead
Software Developer is responsible for development, design, and
implementation of new or modified functional software solutions to
meet ongoing business needs. The Lead Software Developer engages in
all phases of the software development lifecycle - including
gathering and analyzing business system requirements, developing,
and testing new software solutions, resolving bugs, responding to
service issues, and creating system documentation. The Lead
Software Developer works with internal and contract developers,
solution architects and systems analysts on the information
technology team, as well as internal clients and product managers
throughout the software development life cycle.
The Lead Software Developer is a team player with a keen eye for
detail, great problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills. The Lead
Software Developer may participate in design meetings and consult
with clients to refine, test and debug programs to meet business
needs and interact with third party partners in the achievement of
business and technology initiatives. This position will be in New
- Lead support for and maintenance of existing line of business
- Design, develop and implement new functionality in Salesforce
- Design, develop and support new software functionalities within
other existing solutions.
- Integrate data between multiple applications, services, and
- Develop and maintain SQL queries, stored procedures, views, and
- Communicate with team members to identify roadblocks and
deliver functional outcomes to meet development requirements and
- Develop new features and functions that interact with legacy
- Produce documentation on Salesforce enhancements made and
support technical training for others supporting the Salesforce
- Work with other developers to design algorithms, flowcharts,
code, and associated documentation.
- Produce clean, efficient, and secure code based on provided
specifications and industry best practices.
- Integrate custom software solutions with third-party programs
and off the shelf software.
- High School or equivalent GED diploma plus5 yrs.
- Proven Salesforce development and administration skills.
- Experience in integration of Salesforce Orgs and third party
- Ability to continually evolve/improve productivity and
environment and learn new development trends/practices.
- Skilled in at least one .net language (VB or C#)..
- Applicable understanding of development of web-based
- Applicable database development skills MSSQL preferred.
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills, including the ability
to take tasks through to completion.
- Commitment to excellent customer service and product
- Strong problem analysis and decision-making ability.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- College degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, or related
discipline experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years Salesforce development and administration; preferred
Salesforce certifications in development or administration
- 2+ years development experience - preferred 1+ years VB.Net
and/or C# - experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years of experience in application database design and
development - MSSQL preferred - experience can be substituted for a
- Concurrently worked with at least one other software developer
on projects that lasted over at least a 6-month development
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
At Unity College, we dont just accept difference we
celebrate it, we support it,
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students,
and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is
an affirmative action employer.