Study Group Facilitator
Pay Grade Level
Job Summary/Basic Function
Assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with
them to clarify course content and improve study skills. Other
assistance might include: reviewing class material, discussing the
text, predicting test questions, brainstorming ideas for papers, or
working on solutions to problems. Tutoring is a supplement to
* Must be a Bay College Student at time of employment
* Demonstrated competence of course content in which tutoring is to
be conducted (having earned at least a “B”, and/or an above average
recommendation from instructor).
* Good interpersonal communication skills (both verbal and
* Ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural,
and social backgrounds.
* Demonstrated level of responsibility, reliability, and
* Demonstrated appropriate and professional behavior.
* Basic computer literacy with the ability to use video
conferencing software like ZOOM .
* Demonstrated leadership qualities and/or experience in a tutoring
* Knowledge of academic and academic support needs of community
* Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing work
* Ability to demonstrate courtesy, tact and discretion in dealing
with college students as well members of the local community.
* Good organizational skills
* Understanding of and sensitivity to individuals from diverse
* Ability to respond with judgment and discretion to common
inquiries or problems from students
* Students enrolled full-time will be given preference
Months Per Year
Dependent upon tutoring schedule, but typically works up to
10-15 hours per week
TRIO Math Science Specialist
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but
may be loud in areas of equipment operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by personnel assigned into this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Job related
functions may be performed with or without accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required
to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects,
tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop,
kneel; crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by the job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the
ability to adjust focus. Mobility around the campus is a normal
part of the position’s functions.
Provide tutorial and academic support services for students in a
Follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Bay College
Catalog and the Tutor Training Manual.
Participate in an initial training program and in any on-going
Organize, facilitate, and track tutorial sessions.
Participate in projects such as workshops, training materials, or
outreach projects to develop Bay College’s repertoire of
Maintain communications with staff and coordinators.
Attend tutoring staff meetings.
Participate in program evaluation.
Assist in maintaining and cleaning tutoring rooms and reception
Assist with the general operation of the center. Tasks include
reproducing reference materials, greeting students at the front
desk and organizing tutors’ reports.
Take on additional responsibilities as assigned by the program
Maintain competence in the course(s) via systematic review of
Participate in professional development activities
Any other duties as assigned.
Beth Berube, Director of Human Resources
Melissa VanBrocklin, Human Resources Specialist
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you comfortable leading study groups of 3 or more
- * Please list any skills, specialties, experiences, or
certifications you have that are relevant to tutoring and / or your
subject area (e.g. MLA citations, lab reports, Microsoft Excel,
Photoshop, technology, online coursework/Blackboard, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What subjects do you feel that you are competent to
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please list your availability for tutoring: (times of day and
days of the week)
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires you to be a student of Bay College. Do
you intend to be a student of Bay College at time the tutoring
position would begin?