Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, a
comprehensive global research university and a major engine for
economic development in the region. With over 24,000 students,
Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel
has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged
university, with community partnerships integrated into every
aspect of service and academics.
The Patient Service Representative upholds the health center
mission by assuring the delivery by assuring that patients have
access to health care that is competent, caring, and meets with a
high degree of satisfaction.
Staff is expected to uphold the health center mission by assuring
that patients receive health care that is competent, caring, and
meets with a high degree of quality and satisfaction. In addition,
staff must support FPCN's and Drexel University’s Stephen and
Sandra Sheller 11th Street Health Center’s commitment to the
creation of a trauma-informed system of care that continually
recognizes and responds to the impact of traumatic stress on all
those who have contact with the organization, including children,
adults, families, caregivers, and staff.
- Assist in the courteous and efficient management of connecting
patients and guests who are physically in the office and those
individuals who are on the phone with the appropriate services
and/or staff in a timely and accurate manner.
- Initiate services for patients which involve: signing-in,
updating basic demographic information, confirming payment method,
validating health insurance coverage, and preparing necessary paper
work. Additional services may be warranted depending on if the
patient’s status is new or established and if the patient seeks
more specialized services.
- Manage phone calls coming in to the front desk by directing
calls to appropriate staff members and facilitating documentation
of messages (i.e. electronic, hand-written).
- Schedule appointments for patients.
- Call before their scheduled visit to remind them to keep their
- Constantly update and utilize pertinent information about the
health insurance carriers that the Practice accepts.
- Insure all patient billing forms are correct, accurate and
batched according to the patient sign in sheet on a daily
- Initiate and further assist in fee assessing applicable
patients, which includes utilizing the Practice’s sliding fee
schedule. Perform cash collection and reconciliation of all patient
- Maintain patient charts – both written and electronic.
- Provide additional clerical tasks: filing, typing, faxing, and
- Open and distribute mail immediately upon receipt daily.
- Facilitate the ordering of office/janitorial and medical and/or
dental supplies for respective site.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in both written and verbal
- Initiate the enforcement of the Practice’s Late Policy for care
- Possess exemplary knowledge of and enforce all Practice
policies and procedures that impact the work of the PSR and front
- Adhere to OSHA guidelines.
- Assisting in coordinating utilization of the Practice’s
- Serve as PSR at any of the practice sites, when deemed
- Take primary responsibility for securing the building at the
close of the business day
- High School Diploma/GED
- 1 year of experience in a healthcare facility
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Previous scheduling experience with a Electronic Practice
- 1 year of experience in primary care setting preferred.
- Knowledge of Centricity/Athena or other EMR preferred
- Good intermediate mathematics skills
- Familiarity with medical/dental terminology
- Computer Competency with proficiency in word processing
- Exemplary skill at managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- High level of patience, courtesy, and concentration
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills as well as
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Highly reliable and dependable
- Experience in effectively relating to people
- Ability to effectively relate via telephone
- Responds constructively to pressure situations and time
- Initiatives work independently with minimum amount of
- Current CPR
- Exhibit behaviors that align with RHD/FPCN’s organizational
values, mission, and beliefs and avoid displaying behaviors that
are in opposition to those values
- Support FPCN's commitment to the creation of a trauma-informed
system of care that continually recognizes and responds to the
impact of traumatic stress on all those who have contact with the
organization, including children, adults, families, caregivers, and
- Demonstrate cultural competence/proficiency in interactions
with others by treating co-workers, colleagues and those receiving
service with respect and fairness at all times.
- Ability to build and maintain positive and professional
relationships based on respect, trust, and safety.
- Ability to create a space for staff and those we serve to feel
physically and emotionally safe.
- Ability to support individuals on their paths to recovery and
healing and resist re-traumatization of staff and patients.
- Demonstrate exemplary problem -solving, communication,
interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Highly responsible and reliable as well as courteous
- Unconditional ability to maintain patient confidentiality
Typically sitting at a desk/table
Other – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as non exempt with a salary grade of F.
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your resume and cover letter when
submitting your application at
Review of applications will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Sep 20 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Feb 28 2023 Eastern Standard Time