Commensurate with Experience
Standard University business hours
8:30am – 5:00pm (academic year)
8:00am – 4:30pm (summer)
Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Unionized Position Code
The Senior Designer will conceptualize, plan, and design a variety
of materials to be used across high profile print, digital and
multimedia channels. The Senior Designer will have demonstrated
technical experience to create assets for digital, multimedia and
print projects, including but not limited to magazine ads, guides,
brochures, billboards, websites, mobile, banner ads, emails,
animation, social media, and interactive displays. The role
requires a Senior Designer who is confident in conceptualizing and
delivering compelling creative in a highly technical environment
working with degrees of autonomy to advance high-profile
initiatives. Must be able to create, refine and execute creative
concepts with little direction and be comfortable liaising when
needed with various campus partners. Able to play on the leading
edge of design trends, best practices and a strong collaborator.
The Senior Designer will collaborate with other members of the
Marketing division to ensure the consistent use of the University’s
brand guidelines and orientation to specific audiences and
objectives. This professional creates design solutions that are
geared at advancing both brand and marketing strategies. Requires
advanced understanding of brand development and brand expression
Job Specific Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field or
combination of education and experience.
- Six (6) plus years of professional work-related experience
- Must provide a portfolio of material that demonstrates
excellence in digital, multimedia and print design and examples of
working within brand guidelines.
- Must provide a portfolio of material that demonstrates design
excellence and conceptual experience as part of broader campaigns
that yielded tangible results.
- Strong typographic and color skills.
- Expertise in principles and practices of graphic design.
- Knowledge of graphic layout and photographic requirements and
production procedures. Including but not limited to print ads,
printed materials, websites, mobile apps, banner ads, emails,
social media, animation and interactive applications.
- Demonstrate creativity for unique series-driven approaches to a
variety of topics, platforms, and audiences.
- Understanding of digital media platforms/social media and
impact of how to deliver multimedia projects across digital/other
- Ability to design/build HTML5 display/animated banner ads is
- Strong ability to understand industry standards when producing
ADA accessible compliant work.
- Proficient knowledge of latest software versions across MS
Office, asset mgmt., Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop,
Illustrator, XD. Knowledge of pre-press and printing
- Ability to prepare printer specifications. Understanding of
material/production costs, time limits and other factors.
- Illustration skills beneficial, but not necessary.
- Ability to analyze graphic/technical information and create
- Experience with digital photography for publication/advertising
- Outstanding written/verbal communication skills. Strong
interpersonal skills. Works in a team-centric operation.
- Takes direction well.
- Manage stressful situations, solution-oriented, positive
- Move with urgency, manage multiple projects
- Close visual acuity to perform tasks related to design.
- Flexibility and ability to position oneself to art direct a
variety of images.
- Serve as lead designer to conceptualize, plan, design, and
produce high profile digital, multimedia and print projects and
assets consistent with Syracuse University’s brand guidelines.
- Lead conceptual designer on significant or national campaigns,
events, and University brand work.
- Works in partnership with design, production, phot, and
multimedia team members as needed to carry concepts across
collateral. Bring projects from conceptual stages to
- Uses a high degree of skill and creativity to drive conceptual
design work for national campaigns.
- May give art direction, guidance and assignment to
- Creates thoughtful solutions to advance business goals and
- Collaborate with colleagues within Marketing on visual identity
standards, design for accessibility, new technologies and
- Partners with various stakeholders to bring projects from
conceptual stages to completed.
- Always consistent with Syracuse University’s brand
- Excellent at staying organized, multi-tasking, and managing
dozens of deliverables simultaneously.
In addition to completing an online application, please attach a
resume, cover letter and portfolio link.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private, international research university
with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an
undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York
State, with a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history,
Syracuse University offers a quintessential college
The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths: a
pioneering history dating back to 1870; a choice of more than 200
majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges;
nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than
a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries; and a student
population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more
information, please visit www.syracuse.edu.
About the Syracuse area
Syracuse is a medium-sized city situated in the geographic center
of New York State approximately 250 miles northwest of New York
City. The metro-area population totals approximately 500,000. The
area offers a low cost of living and provides many social,
cultural, and recreational options, including parks, museums,
festivals, professional regional theater, and premier shopping
venues. Syracuse and Central New York present a wide range of
seasonal recreation and attractions ranging from water skiing and
snow skiing, hiking in the Adirondacks, touring the historic sites,
visiting wineries along the Finger Lakes, and biking on trails
along the Erie Canal.
Syracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action
institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment
based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national
origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran
status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the
extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers
admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University
programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
Syracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the
military-connected community through its educational programs,
community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II,
Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to
our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse
University into the national research institution it is today. The
University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this
historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives
focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the
post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to
position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military
veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
Syracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in
which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The
University community recognizes and values the many similarities
and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are
committed to preparing students to understand, live among,
appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world
made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds,
military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status,
cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender
identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community
that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants