About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is an independent, culturally
diverse institution providing quality education and research in
aviation, aerospace, engineering, and other related fields with
residential campuses located in Daytona Beach, Florida and
Prescott, Arizona. The University's Worldwide campus provides
educational opportunities online and at approximately 130 locations
throughout the United States, Asia, Europe, and Central/South
As the largest and most comprehensive aviation and
aerospace-focused university in the world, Embry-Riddle is a unique
institution. Over the past 90 years, the University has evolved
with industry to break new ground and produce top-level graduates
who serve the ever-changing needs of aviation and aerospace and
other STEM-related disciplines. Embry-Riddle offers programs in
seven primary fields of study including Applied Science; Aviation;
Business; Computers and Technology; Engineering; Safety, Security,
and Intelligence; and Space.
For Academic Year 2020-21, there were over 10,700 undergraduate,
graduate, and doctoral students that attended the University's
residential campuses and approximately 32,700 students in total
enrolled with the University around the world.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is currently recruiting for a
Vice President for Research and Doctoral Programs to provide
oversight, direction, and guidance to ensure the quality,
integrity, and relevance over our research and doctoral programs.
Reporting to the President, the VP advises the President, Provost,
Deans and other ERAU senior leadership in the formulation of
programs and policies to enhance the University’s research mission
across all campuses.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Provides strategic recommendations to the campus research
community, and identifies and develops externally funded research
opportunities for ERAU faculty, with federal, state and industry
- Provides intellectual leadership and a strong commitment to
faculty and student research funding, including faculty research
opportunities available through the University’s Industry and
research park partners.
- Manages internal research funding programs, such as the Faculty
Innovative Research in Science and Technology (FIRST) Program, and
the Faculty Research Development Program (FRDP); ensures programs
are effective, have appropriate measures of accountability, and are
aligned with the University's strategic plan.
- Develops additional internal initiatives such as mentoring
programs to support early career faculty in creating externally
funded research programs.
- Helps to coordinate (with the Office of Sponsored Research)
administrative/research compliance processes and related faculty
- Has direct responsibility for the continued development,
program review, and assessment of Ph.D. programs, policies and
- Convenes regular meetings of the ERAU Research Council, the
Daytona Beach Research Council, and the Daytona Beach Ph.D. Program
- Manages the content of the ERAU research web page ( https://erau.edu/research ).
- Represents ERAU at research conferences, and at meetings of
organizations such as the Florida Research Development Alliance,
and the Oak Ridge Associated Universities.
- Organizes the President's Research Forum.
- Earned doctorate in with an academic record sufficient to be
granted advanced rank and tenure in one of the University’s
- Experience in academic research
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and attract support for
scholarship, research, and innovation consistent with expectations
of a University fully engaged in both graduate and undergraduate
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities with
particular emphasis on ability to understand, interpret, and
summarize research initiatives across a variety of subject domains
for presentation to technical and non-technical audiences
- Knowledge of extramural federal and non-federal sponsors
supporting research and education activities, preferably in a
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and
activities, and flexibility to manage addition or reprioritization
of projects and to request guidance as needed
- Ability to assume a leading role in project and program
management and demonstrated expertise in managing the development
of complex documents
- Strong interpersonal and organizations skills with a
demonstrated ability to build consensus in order to achieve desired
- The successful candidate will be a flexible, creative,
scientifically literate professional and team player with ability
to add value to the development of faculty-led research proposals
and initiatives across a variety of subject domains