New River Community College (NRCC) is a comprehensive community
college located in the New River Valley of Virginia. At NRCC you
can prepare for the future with any of our various occupational
programs or college transfer courses. NRCC faculty members are well
known not just for their academic background, but also for their
capacity to work closely and effectively with students. You’ll find
that they have a genuine interest in your success. They also have
excellent academic credentials. All faculty who teach college
transfer courses have doctorates or master’s degrees, while those
in occupational programs have a diverse background which combines
academics with practical on-the-job experience. In recent years
individual professors and college programs have received state and
national awards for their quality.
- Teach developmental and college credit mathematics and
statistics courses to occupational/technical and college transfer
students, as assigned.
- Write and revise course plans.
- Develop courses, including online courses.
- Assist in the selection and creation of instructional
- Recommend curricular changes to upgrade and integrate students’
- Develop and implement student retention and success
- Assume advising responsibilities.
- Assist the department and division with administrative and/or
- Participate in department, division and college discussions,
meetings, and initiatives.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree with eighteen graduate semester hours in
- Commitment to community college mission.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Fairness and flexibility in understanding and working with a
wide variety of students.
- Demonstrated commitment to innovative teaching approaches,
including use of technology as a teaching and learning tool.
- Excellent oral and written communication, including effective
communication in teaching/learning situations.
- Commitment to develop and teach online courses.
- Demonstrated skills and/or knowledge of assessment of student
- Commitment to and ability to implement instructional strategies
that foster student retention and student success.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and maintain effective and
courteous working relationships with college faculty,
administrators, and staff.
Finalists will be required to present a sample teaching
Three current letters of recommendation are
- Previous record of excellence in teaching developmental
- Previous record of excellence in teaching
- Previous record of excellence in teaching college transfer
- Previous record of teaching excellence in a community college
Contact Name: Melissa Anderson
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a completed state application, resume, cover letter,
three current letters of recommendation and unofficial
link for posting: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/45612
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the
successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which
may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment
verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to
employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to
complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For
more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer,
welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes
the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is
committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination
and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs,
job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit
discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or
physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status,
gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and
ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation
to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing
and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in
the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and
provide documentation of your identity for employment