Postdoctoral Scholar - Mihaljevic Lab
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an
unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values.
We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our
efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of
This is a postdoctoral appointment funded by external grant money.
This position is subject to the availability of funding. The
anticipated start date is flexible, but sooner than January 2023 is
preferred. This position is funded for up to three years.
Complete applications will include the following:
- a one- or two-page statement of research and career interests,
- a curriculum vitae with the names and contact information of
The Mihaljevic Lab at Northern Arizona University (NAU) is seeking
applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar to support an NSF-funded
project that examines how climate and disease interact to affect
long-term rates of species extinction. The successful candidate
will be excited to combine models of disease spread with data from
laboratory experiments to answer key questions in this field.
The Postdoctoral Scholar will help to build mathematical models,
conduct experiments, fit models to data, and will have the option
to assist with field work, using a study system of Ambystoma
tigrinum virus and its salamander host in Arizona. The chosen
scholar will work in collaboration with Dr. Mihaljevic in the
School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems, and will have
the opportunity to develop collaborations with researchers in the
Pathogen and Microbiome Institute at NAU.
Primary mentor: Dr. Joseph Mihaljevic (email@example.com)
Research & Publications - 70%
- Work collaboratively with research team to collect data and
design analyses to address primary research questions.
- Conduct laboratory experiments and keep appropriate records of
all research activities.
- Conduct field research, if needed, to support the project.
- Lead data analysis, modeling, coding, and synthesis
- Design and implement research protocols and adapt new
procedures, methods, and coding as appropriate to the project
- Prepare and deliver presentations of research findings.
- Prepare and submit manuscripts for publication.
- Read scientific literature, participate in scientific
discussions with other members of the research team\ and lab, and
attend lab and project meetings.
- Other administrative and research tasks related to the project,
including organizing and training others in project protocols.
Data Metrics - 20%
- Collect, curate, synthesize, and analyze research data.
- Maintain organized, open, and accessible records of data and
- Perform data analysis and visualization and develop efficient
data analysis pipelines and/or tools as appropriate to project
- Tabulate and display data for presentation in research
conferences and for manuscript preparation; use graphics and
statistical software to analyze and present data.
Grant Management - 5%
- Works within the grant-specific project requirements.
- Assists project PI with managing grant funds according to
- Assists PI with writing annual project reports according to
Academic/Lab Liasion - 5%
- Perform assigned lab duties to assist in the maintenance of
equipment, supplies, reagents or the general operation of the lab,
and various other duties or projects as assigned - as appropriate
to project goals.
- Promote an inclusive and welcoming work environment for
- PhD in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, Epidemiology, or related
- Programming experience in R or C/C++.
- Record of publication in peer-reviewed scientific
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Experience conducting laboratory experiments with vertebrate
animals and pathogens.
- Strong background in mathematical modeling and statistics,
fitting mathematical models to various sources of data using
frequentist and Bayesian methods.
- Demonstrated experience in coding scientific algorithms in R,
C, or C++ (or equivalent languages) using version control software
- Experience conducting ecological field work in variable
- Demonstrated background of mentoring undergraduate research
- Interest and/or experience promoting STEM diversity and
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a research team and
with individuals from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Leadership, coordination, and/or supervision skills.
- Ability to take initiative and complete tasks without direct
- Innovation, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of innovative data analysis methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as
demonstrated by publications and presentations at professional
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Knowledge of using high performance computing
- Knowledge of quantitative techniques in disease ecology and
- Molecular lab experience (e.g., qPCR for pathogen detection) is
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination
requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal
court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent
executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees
of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For
current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please
visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $54,779. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
Post-Doctoral Scholars are hired on a contract basis, renewable
each fiscal year for a maximum of 4 renewals (5 years) according to
terms of the Arizona Board of Regents' Conditions of Post-Doctoral Service
. NAU offers
an excellent benefit package to Post-Doctoral Scholars including
generous health, dental and vision insurance; 10 days of vacation
and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified family members. New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment,
after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their
start date to enroll in benefits. Participation in NAU retirement
plans is not available to Post-Doctoral Scholars. More information
on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision
of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors
Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Applications received by April 30, 2022 at 11:59
will be given full consideration. Applications
received after that date may be considered until the position is
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606079&PostingSeq=1