Director of Flight Operations
Position Summary Information
Provides leadership and guidance for all Flight Operations to
include Chief Instructor and dispatch. Ensures compliance with
Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) in the training of students and
supervision of Flight Instructors under CBU Flight School Air
Agency Certificate. The central point of contact for students
regarding enrollment and financial clearance liaising with main
campus. (40 hours/12 months)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Oversees University Flight Operations including:
- Coordinating with Student Accounts regarding financial status
for flight labs.
- Coordinate with Spiritual Life regarding alternative chapel
- Monitor student progress and provide flight line grades with
Chief Flight Instructor.
- Provides student course authorizations and coordinates
registration for all flight labs.
- Make recommendations for students moving from pre-flight to
2. Coordinate with Chief Flight Instructor to improve flight line
operations, documentation, policies and procedures and ensures all
resources and products are accessible (SOPs, POHs, etc).
3. Coordinates with Chief Flight Instructor and Academics to
integrate flight line and academics.
4. Coordinate with Director of Maintenance regarding resource
management and future maintenance events (engine changes, life
limited parts, expected failure or overhaul dates).
5. Coordinate with Chair regarding flight lab costs, flight block
schedule, future fleet planning, resource utilization, hiring of
new flight instructors, and cost management.
6. Coordinate special programs and group tours ( ROTC, WAI, local
7. Serve as industry contact for flight operations vendors.
8. Serve as contact point for prospective students, flight
students, parents and community.
9. Maintains a cooperative and communicative attitude with airport
officials and Federal Aviation Administration ( FAA )
10. Schedule and lead flight line staff meetings.
11. Monitor staff hours through ADP and ETA to ensure compliance
with CBU policies.
12. Responsible for ensuring all flight line operation bills are
tracked and paid in a timely manner.
13. Serves as point of contact for inprocessing all in coming
14. Responsible for creating Master Flight Schedule assigning
aircraft, instructors, and students.
15. Performs stage checks and Supervisor of Flying as
16. Coordinates with Chief Flight Instructor to ensure Dispatch
operations are effective.
17. Ensures FAA testing center is properly staffed and meets all
18. Monitors student account balance in TALON and applying
applicable flight lab fees.
Directly supervises Chief Flight Instructors, Flight Instructors,
and Secretary of Flight Operation. Carries out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and
applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; disciplining employees; addressing complaints and
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Knowledge and instructor certification appropriate to the
- Knowledge of various flight instruction instrumentation and
- Ability to instruct, teach and tutor.
- Ability to perform under stressful circumstances.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and
judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic;
general office methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability
to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing,
prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
- Ability to coordinate and organize meetings and/or special
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and
procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new
strategies and procedures
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or one to
two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience. Hold a commercial pilot
certificate, or an airline transport pilot certificate, and a
current flight instructor certificate ( CFI / CFII ).
Posting Detail Information
Remove from Web
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to
discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its
purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either
State or Federal law.
Quick Link to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Christian Experience Essay
- Unofficial Transcript