Student Success Advocate I - (STA009757)
- University of Houston
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Apr 23, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Career Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Provides integrated career counseling, academic advising and educational counseling for undeclared and other targeted undergraduate students served by the Student Success Center; develops strategic plans to enhance student learning and empower students to successfully enter majors, meet degree requirements and persist to graduation.
- Provides integrated career counseling, educational counseling, and academic advising for students served by the Student Success Center, meeting with all assigned students each semester to explore career goals and related majors, establish academic plans, explain university policies and procedures, connect students to relevant resources, and provide support through transitions.
- Utilizes tracking system and other resources for early identification of at-risk students and recommends success strategies, services, and resources.
- Assesses individual student needs, making appropriate referrals to other campus services and resources as needed, and aids students in establishing realistic and attainable academic goals.
- Maintains records documenting counseling and advising sessions including meeting overviews, progress notes, referrals, and follow up activities.
- Monitors students� academic performance, progress toward entrance into majors and degree completion, providing or recommending interventions as needed.
- Assists with developing and conducting orientation sessions for incoming Exploratory Studies students.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with colleges to promote effective partnerships in preparing undeclared and transitional students considering major selections or changes.
- Assists with the design and delivery of student success workshops for undergraduate students.
- Assists with the development of college success and major and career exploration resources.
- Acquires and maintains an awareness of new developments and best practices in academic advising, career counseling, and educational counseling, incorporating such knowledge into advising practices. Maintains knowledge of University of Houston majors, campus resources, information systems, and University and college department policies and procedures. Performs other job related duties as required.
The University of Houston College of Pharmacy is an accredited four-year program with an innovative, integrated curriculum with real world experience. Our students develop the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to graduate with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. The Office of Student Services oversees recruiting, admission, and student success. The Office of Student Services is seeking an engaging and dynamic Student Success Advocate to join the team.
Please note that this position will also:
- Serve as an ePortfolio reviewer for current students
- Coordinate the Onboarding of Co-op students
- Complete graduation process for graduating students, ordering of graduation diplomas
- Serve as a conduit to the University, College, and pharmacy student organizations and primary reviewer for student org event requests
- Oversee and manage the peer tutoring program
Masters and 1 year experience
Requires application of advanced principles, techniques and theory in a professional discipline or a thorough general business management knowledge. Knowledge of this level is typically obtained through a directly job-related Master's degree or equivalent formal training in a recognized field of specialization that is directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of one (1) year of directly job-related experience.
- Department is willing to do experience in lieu of education.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert