Business Operations & Project Manager
Type of Employment:
Number of Months:
Number of Hours per Day/Week:
8:00am - 5:00pm
Elon University is a selective, mid-sized private university
renowned as a national model for engaged and experiential learning.
The mission of Auxiliary Services is to provide effective and
efficient services to students, faculty, staff, and guests of the
University to support the educational and co-curricular programs of
Auxiliary Services is a department within the Finance &
Administration division with oversight of the following units:
Barnes & Noble at Elon University, Elon Dining, Laundry, Mail
Services, Print Services, Storage Scholars, The Inn at Elon,
Trademark & Licensing, and Vending.
This position is an integral part of the team who will provide high
level support for the overall day-to-day operations critical to the
units for Auxiliary Services. This includes, but is not limited to,
budgeting, accounting, staffing, strategic planning, forecasting,
data analysis, reporting, sponsored project management, developing
internal procedures, and other functions ensuring adherence with
established requirements and standards. It is responsible for the
design, execution, and effectiveness of a system of internal
controls which provides reasonable assurance that departmental
operations are effective, efficient, and reliable. This position
interacts with all members of the university community and requires
an exceptionally high level of discretion due to exposure and
access to highly confidential and sensitive information.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s of Business Administration
Length of Experience:
3-5 years related experience and/or
training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Finance/Accounting skills and experience with leading or managing
people/and or processes strongly preferred.
Supervisory Experience Detail
Special Skills or Experience
- Must possess outstanding oral and written skills, as well as
the ability to communicate effectively within a diverse
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as contracts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to write clear and concise general business
correspondence, manuals, and reports.
- Skill in writing concise, logical, and analytical reports to
convey complex issues.
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly to colleagues and external
- Ability to use basic and advanced mathematical skills to
analyze data and make recommendations based on the data.
- Ability to compute percent of change and to draw and interpret
- Strong skills in problem solving techniques and critical
thinking skills demonstrated by the ability to research, analyze
information, evaluate results, and facilitate resolution with a
variety of variables in an array of situations. Be able to
communicate these solutions and ideas to various groups of
individuals; on and off campus.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to think critically and make recommendations for best
- Must possess a high level of proficiency and expertise with
Microsoft Office software. · Advanced proficiency in designing,
developing and maintaining complex spreadsheets in Excel is
- Experience creating graphs, charts and other visual
representations of financial data using software such as Excel is
- Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague and Informer software
- Must have a valid North Carolina driver’s license and be
insurable by the University’s carrier. Following a conditional
offer of employment, Elon conducts motor vehicle record checks on
all job applicants who are required to drive a university vehicle
as an essential function of their job. Thereafter, a random motor
vehicle record check will be conducted annually. Employment is
contingent upon successfully passing a motor vehicle record
- Must be able to walk the campus to all units of auxiliaries,
stand for period of time at events such as admission open house,
commencement, convocations, and other university functions.
OTHER SKILLS REQUIRED
- Quiet to fast paced with changing priorities depending on time
of academic year. Office noise is typical of a busy office
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Ability to set priorities and manage a variety of projects
concurrently in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- High degree of accuracy, ability to work independently, an
awareness of deadlines and confidentiality are also of critical
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and success in working
with diverse constituencies to support an inclusive campus
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills including the ability
to listen well and demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for
Open Until Filled:
General Purpose of Position
The position will assist the Assistant Vice President for Auxiliary
Services and Assistant Directors of Auxiliary Services in following
areas: Barnes & Noble at Elon University, Elon Dining, Laundry,
Mail Services, Print Services, Storage Scholars, The Inn at Elon,
Trademark & Licensing, and Vending.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide oversight for operating budgets across Auxiliary
Services units, analyzing and updating budgets to ensure accurate
information; coordinate purchase requisition approval
- Coordinate daily and monthly budget expenditure processing,
tracking, and reporting for multiple budgets.
- Process reimbursements and accounts payable for various
- Reconcile monthly invoices for dining services.
- Assist in maintaining The Inn at Elon financial reporting
materials for key stakeholders.
- Coordinate and maintain paper and electronic files and records
related to contracts, programs and projects, committees, personnel,
- Prepare correspondence and reports, ensuring they meet
assistant vice president level standards in content and
- Maintain all files for Auxiliary Services, including personnel
files, contacts/leases, etc..
- Responsible for maintaining data, metrics and preparing reports
for all Auxiliary Services units. May include researching peer and
- Prepare documents and reports for projects, reports, metrics,
meetings, and committees.
- Coordinate, plan and execute special projects and initiatives
for Auxiliary Services.
- Maintain Auxiliary Services website, social media sites, and
- Provide support for key human resources functions of the
department, including recruitment of new staff, annual performance
appraisal process, and personnel transitions
- Answer/transfer phone calls and check voicemail. Field
questions and direct specific requests to the appropriate
- Initiate and manage requests through Accounting, Human
Resources, Admissions, Physical Plant, Purchasing, and other
- Manage schedule and logistics for Assistant Vice President and
Assistant Directors, including: scheduling of various committees
and group meetings; travel, procurement card expenses and
reallocations; and logistics of planning retreats and
- Implement efficient office systems and high-quality customer
- Coordinate event management logistics for Auxiliary Services
meetings and events; including space reservations and set-up
requests, catering orders, and technology requests.
Other Duties as Assigned by the Assistant Vice President for
Auxiliary Services and Assistant Directors of Auxiliary
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Business
3-5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience. Finance/Accounting skills
and experience with leading or managing people/and or processes
Does this position require driving for the university?
To apply, visit https://elon.peopleadmin.com/postings/8542
Elon University is an equal employment opportunity employer
committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes
Elon University has built a national reputation as a premier
student-centered arts and sciences university that values strong
relationships between students and their faculty and staff mentors.
Elon is ranked among the top-100 National Universities by U.S. News
& World Report, with a No. 1 ranking for excellence in
undergraduate teaching and No. 9 for innovation. Global engagement
is central to Elon’s experience and the Institute of International
Education has ranked the institution No. 1 in the nation for study
abroad for 16 straight years. In addition, Elon is the only
university in the nation ranked in the top-20 by U.S. News for
excellence in all eight academic programs “Focused on Student
Success.” Elon’s more than 7,000 students prepare to become the
resilient, ambitious and ethical leaders the world needs, putting
their knowledge into action on campus, in the community and around