The University of Wisconsin-Stout is seeking an Assistant
Director to lead study abroad/away initiatives and contribute to
the mission of the Office of International Education. The primary
role of the Assistant Director is to collaborate with students,
faculty, and staff to enhance, develop and provide comprehensive
management of study abroad/away programs. The position
reports to the Director of the Office of International
Education. The anticipated start date is July 1,
ABOUT THE JOB:
International Programs Manager /
Minimum / Required
- S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (per Federal
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years education abroad (study abroad/away) experience
- Two years’ experience of study abroad/away CRM (Terra Dotta or
equivalent), including ongoing maintenance, product
reconfigurations and updates
- Master’s degree
- Supervisory experience
- Experience developing and executing faculty-led and student
- Knowledge and experience advising F-1 and J-1 students and
- Demonstrated advocacy and commitment to equity, diversity, and
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail and organization,
successful collaboration with internal and external stakeholders,
and progression in responsibility
40% Administration of Study Abroad/Away Programs
- Provides leadership for study abroad/away programming
initiatives and engages in strategic planning goals set by the
Office of International Education and UW-Stout.
- Manages the study abroad/away program portfolio and assigns
student and staff responsibilities to ensure program quality,
student success and enrollment goals.
- Develops and evaluates best practices for all study abroad/away
programs as it relates to policy, procedures, and enrollment
practices. Annually reviews each program to ensure compliance with
- Hires and trains student staff and leads training activities
for Education Abroad.
- Designs and implements program-wide evaluations, including
collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative reports.
- Oversees all program contracts and agreements with overseas
- Provides website administration and maintenance of online
content, including the education abroad general landing page and
non-traditional web-based programs, applications, and events (e.g.,
virtual fairs, info sessions, advising, etc.).
- Responsible for study abroad/away budget forecasting in
collaboration with the OIE Financial Specialist.
- Provides ongoing maintenance, including product
reconfigurations and updates, of study abroad CRM (Terra
- Oversees marketing strategies and initiatives for all study
- Reports official data for the university including the Open
Doors and IIE Annual Reports.
- Organizes and oversees Education Abroad campus promotional
- Develops and implements faculty leader training and orientation
- Collaborates with Risk Management to develop and implement a
risk management plan for all outbound programs and make
recommendations for policies and procedures for students, faculty,
and staff. Provide 24/7 emergency assistance for faculty-led
25% Program Development
- Manages the development of faculty-led program proposals and
administers the application process, budget monitoring, and program
evaluations. Ensures program compliance with Higher Learning
Commission (HLC) and UW System policies.
- Collaborates with academic department stakeholders on the
development and implementation of Education Abroad programs
including semester & short-term faculty-led programs, co-ops,
internships, and new partnerships.
- Represents the university to international partners through the
development and collaboration of Education Abroad programming,
on-campus and overseas site visits and other communications.
- Identifies and leads public and private grant-funded
- Identifies and vets potential external partner universities and
25% Student Outreach and Advising
- Manages study abroad/away program recruitment efforts including
marketing and publicity.
- Tracks students’ applications in the program using Terra Dotta,
ensures applications are complete, coordinates review of academic
and behavioral standing.
- Advises students on Education Abroad program offerings,
passport and visa procedures and scholarship opportunities.
- Oversees pre-departure orientation for outbound
- Coordinates administrative processes with university units
including Student Business Services, Registration and Records,
Safety and Risk Management, and Dean of Students.
- Serves as a resource for university stakeholders regarding
comparative education including evaluation of foreign education
systems and curricula.
- Responds to concerns from students, parents, and other
- Supports overall goals and mission of the Office of
- Serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate
Responsible Officer (ARO) for F-1 and J-1 international students
and scholars, assisting with SEVIS registration, travel, and
employment authorization requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Office of International Education endeavors
- Advance education abroad opportunities that encompass
experiential, innovative, and career-focused learning for the
- Cultivate institutional partnerships to foster global
experiences for all UW-Stout stakeholders.
- Diversify our campus population through mindful recruitment of
- Provide quality support services to international students,
visiting scholars, and guests.
- Advance initiatives that foster intercultural and global
competencies for students, faculty, staff and the local
- Provide quality English as a Second Language courses and
support to facilitate international student success.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners,
ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable,
inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative
career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and
research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive
community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative
environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of
individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is
unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after
its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of
being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation
which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world
experiences, and an integrated liberal arts
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees,
including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment
is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to
equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and
work environments that reflect our regional and global
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for
cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and
a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches
to solving problems in society and industry and encourages
collaboration within and across disciplines and
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated
in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on
Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a
population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of
more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For
more information about the UW-Stout community and region
Facts and data about the university:
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and
experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits
package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will
receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated
against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from
diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from
historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal
opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive
excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome
diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an
inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a
criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human
Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final
candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check
process includes asking the final candidate and most recent
supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual
harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW
System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is
not available for this position. A successful applicant will be
responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United
States on or before the effective date of the appointment and
maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you
have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources
office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of
Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who
request confidentiality in their online application, except that
the identity of the successful final candidate will be released.
Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all
members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For
campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
To apply, go to: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/psp/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12&JobOpeningId=18228&PostingSeq=1
To ensure consideration complete applications must be
submitted online by Wednesday, April 27, 2022. Accepting
applications until position is filled.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach
all required documents prior to submitting the online
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted
your application you will not be able to go into the system and
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3)
* Include a statement (4-6 sentences) regarding how you would
foster a climate of equity, diversity, and inclusion in this
position. Please also use your cover letter to speak to each of the
Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above.
For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience,
using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how
your experience satisfies the
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you
preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at:
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation
to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance,
or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please
contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities
will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable
accommodation for a qualified individual's
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please
Search Chair: Danielle Clarizio
If you need assistance with the online application process or if
you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the
required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Patti Kahler