Security Officer- Lead- Part Time
Harold Washington College
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college
system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite
sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a
quality, affordable education. Harold Washington College
a student-centered institution that empowers all members of its
community through accessible and affordable academic advancement,
career development and personal enrichment. Harold Washington
College, located at 30 East Lake Street in Chicago's Loop, serves
thousands of students annually by supporting each one in pursuit of
a certificate or degree and ensuring they are ready to succeed in
further college or a career after graduation.
This position supports the activities in a
security department by directing the activities of part time
security officers and assistants. This position reports to the
Director of Security or the Assistant Director. Theideal candidate
will promote an atmosphere conducive to learning by enforcing all
District policies, State and Municipal criminal statutes as well as
safety and security measures to protect campus property and reduce
the risk of liability to the college.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews daily time and attendance cards to ensure they
accurately reflect the hours worked by the employees.
- Ensure employees are adhering to the policies of the District
- Ensure employees are trained and are capable of performing
- Ensure that employees are stationed at all posts and present a
- Ensure that all policies and procedures of the District are
followed by students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Patrol building and grounds to ensure a safe and secure
environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Respond to alarms and/or service calls to ensure appropriate
actions are taken by security personnel to mitigate the situation
in a positive, safe, professional and correct manner.
- Inspect and take inventory of department equipment and report
any discrepancies to the Director of Security or Assistant
- May write reports.
- May affect an arrest.
- Appear in court as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a full time police officer or have previous police
experience with a State or Municipal law enforcement agency.
- One year supervisory experience with a State or Municipal law
enforcement agency preferred.
- Completion of a high school diploma or the equivalent,
Associates degree or higher preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable of State and Municipal criminal statutes
and arrest procedures.
- No criminal convictions.
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written).
- Must be able to handle stressful situation in a tactful,
diplomatic and profession manner when dealing with employees,
students, faculty, staff or visitors.
- Some working knowledge of computer and the basic application
- Must be self-motivated, prompt and punctual.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
- Ability to regularly patrol the entire campus area on foot for
a full shift.
- Ability to run or jog for short periods during emergency and
- Ability to stand at an assigned post for an extended period of
- Ability to quickly climb and descend stairs to respond to
emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ability to physically restrain and remove a person using
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, and reach in all
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate all security-related equipment including
radios, surveillance cameras, telephones, computers, fire alarm
annunciator panel, fire extinguisher, and 2-way radios.
- Ability to drive and operate CCC vehicles.
- Physical ability to perform CPR and first aid, including
operating AED equipment.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities under all weather