Other, Academic Affairs
The Animal Caretaker is responsible for the monitoring and care of
animals and supports the Biology, Psychology, Animal Behavior, and
Neuroscience Programs. Animal care at Bucknell is a necessary and
critical component that allows Bucknell to be in full compliance
with Federal Regulations regarding animal housing and care. This
position reports to the Animal Caretaker Manager.
- Animal handling, feeding and food preparation.
- Monitoring of food and liquid intake for animals.
- Provision of adequate environmental enrichment.
- Early detection of signs of illness, injury, pregnancy, or
abnormalities in physiology or behavior.
- Routine cleaning of cages and animal living spaces.
- Maintaining close contact with faculty and student researchers,
as well as with the University's consulting veterinarian,
especially when a problem is detected or suspected.
- Attend regular training as directed to keep abreast of changing
regulations and standards of humane animal care.
- Keep records of day-to-day animal care (e.g. including feeding,
cleaning, health checks).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience and training in animal care
- Demonstrated ability to obtain training by the American
Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) to be certified
as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT)
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- A current and valid driver's license
- Some immunizations are required
- Caretakers are expected to have good communication skills and
be comfortable using email and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Above a minimum of AALAS-LAT certification, AALAS Laboratory
Animal Technician (LATG) certification is preferred, or a
willingness to pursue the additional training required for
qualification as a LATG
- Knowledge of animal care within the context of biomedical
- Previous experience in a clean room environment
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds without
- Exposure to laboratory animals and their waste
- Requires indoor and outdoor work including exposure to
This is a casual, part-time, non-benefits eligible positoin.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496899/animal-caretaker