Champlain College is seeking applications for the position of
System & Network Administrator.
The Information Systems department at Champlain College is
looking for a dynamic System and Network Administrator. This role
is part of Champlain College's Infrastructure team whose mission is
to build and maintain the server and network systems that support
the functions of the College. The System and Network Administrator
is also responsible for providing next-level support to Champlain's
help desk, faculty and staff. They will work to ensure the security
and efficiency of the campus computing environment.
The System and Network Administrator is required to perform
occasional off-hours work during nights and weekends both for
urgent issues as well as for maintenance that is required outside
of business hours.
- System Administration
- Configure, manage, and monitor high availability IT
infrastructure including physical, virtual, and cloud servers.
Servers will mostly be running Windows Server.
- Learn, maintain, and update cloud environments such as Google
Workspace and Microsoft Azure.
- Maintain and update system management tools such as Hyper V
Failover cluster manager, Windows Group Policy
- Network Administration
- Provide Tier 2 network support to Champlain's Help Desk
- Assist with management of the College's WiFi and switch
- Perform adds/moves/changes for IP addresses, DNS, Active
- IT Operations
- Triage and respond to tickets sent into IT ticketing
- Perform daily account management tasks in Active Directory,
Google Workspace, and Azure AD
- Develop operating procedures and maintain system
- Security Operations
- Perform system and application patching on a regular
- Monitor and tune security tools such as vulnerability scanners,
- Monitor and respond to security alerts. Assist in security
- 2+ years of experience of working in system or network
- Solid understanding of IP networking including DHCP, DNS,
routers, firewalls, switches, VLANs, and WiFi.
- Solid Windows operating system and server application skills
including Windows Server (all current versions), Windows 7, Windows
10, Active Directory, and HyperV.
- Basic understanding of telecommunication systems including
corporate IP phone systems, and FAX machines.
- Basic knowledge of power systems including UPS units and
- Working knowledge of virtualization technologies including
either HyperV or VMWare
- Physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Basic understanding of cloud environments such as Google S
Suite and Amazon AWS
- Experience working with Linux.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple high-priority tasks.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well independently as well as on teams
- Willing to embrace the professional responsibility of
self-learning new technologies
The successful completion of a criminal background check is
required as a condition of employment.
Application materials must include a resume/CV and a letter of
interest (Cover Letter) specifically addressing the desired
For more details, and in order to be considered for the
position, you must upload a resume using the following link
EU Employee Data Protection Notice:
About Champlain College:
Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, private,
not-for-profit college in Burlington, Vermont overlooking Lake
Champlain and the Adirondack mountains, with additional campuses in
Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland. Its career-driven approach
to higher education prepares students for professional life from
their very first semester. For the fifth year in a row, Champlain
was named a "Most Innovative School" in the North by U.S. News
& World Report's "America's Best Colleges" 2020 regional
rankings and listed among The Princeton Review's "The Best 385
Colleges" in 2020. Champlain is also featured in the 2021 Fiske
Guide to Colleges as one of the "best and most interesting schools"
in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain and is recognized
as a 2020 College of Distinction for its "Engagement, Teaching,
Community, and Outcomes. The College offers 30 undergraduate
degrees as well as online undergraduate, graduate, and certificate
Champlain's Centers of Experience provide students from across
all majors with experiential learning environments that guide them
in how to take their classroom knowledge and put it to the test in
practical applications allowing them to gain real-world experience
firsthand. Each Center connects Champlain to the local community
and the world, turning theory into practice. The Centers entrust
students with responsibility, engage them in ambitious goals and
empower them to lead with creativity, confidence, insight, and
integrity. At the helms of the Centers are cutting-edge industry
professionals who share the goal of providing the most relevant,
career-focused education, enriched with hands-on learning
Champlain College does not discriminate on the basis of race,
creed, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, religion,
age, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, veteran or military
service status, HIV -positive status, qualified disability, or on
the basis of any other status protected by law, and does not
discriminate in the administration of its education and admission
policies, scholarship and loan programs, employment practices or
co-curricular and other College-administered programs. Champlain
College will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified
students, applicants for admission or employment, or employees.
Please contact the People Center at 802.651.5800 with questions
concerning the hiring process or future employment at Champlain
College, or if auxiliary aids or services are needed to apply for
employment at Champlain College.
Champlain College is committed to fostering an inclusive and
diverse community. Recognizing that diversity is both a reflection
of our world and a source of rich education, Champlain strives to
be diverse and inclusive in ways that reflect the world in which we
live and work. All members of the Champlain community are valued as
The College seeks candidates who, through their work and life
experiences, service to the community, teaching or research can
contribute to the diversity, inclusivity and academic excellence of
Champlain College. Please include information about how you would
contribute to these efforts and help to further this goal in your
letter of interest/cover letter.