The Office of Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRDS)
invites candidates to apply to the Institutional Research Analyst
Position. This position supports the mission of IRDS which is
focused on enhancing and advancing VCU's data driven culture by
leveraging institutional metrics to make an impact. This requires a
systems thinking approach that is aligned with strategic
priorities. We serve as data wranglers, collecting and intertwining
metrics to find actionable insights that lead to collaborative
The core responsibility of the Institutional Research Analyst will
be to support strategic reporting, institutional data and
information needs, and regulatory reporting. This is a University
Academic Professional staff appointment reporting to the Director
of Institutional Research in the office of Institutional Research
and Decision Support.
This position will have the opportunity for hybrid telework and
flexible work arrangements.
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000
In this position you will:
- Regularly perform data extraction, manipulation, analysis, and
interpretation of findings/results to prepare institutional
responses to external and internal inquiries (“ad hoc” requests) on
a wide range of subjects – e.g. student admissions and enrollment
information, student persistence and success (retention and
graduation), student financial aid need analysis, personnel
planning including recruitment retention as well as attrition,
Minimum Hiring Standards:
- Respond to federal and state reporting and to guidebook
surveys, national rankings and national studies by preparing
accurate and timely reports and/or data files.
- Provide institutional research data to academic units and
programs as well as administrative constituencies throughout the
- Collaborate on projects within IRDS along with other
stakeholders at VCU, such as faculty, staff, students, senior
- Provide support with survey design, analysis and
- Seek and participate in continuing learning opportunities,
including topics such as SAS programming, data subject domain
knowledge and understanding, expanding data topics, and
University-level initiatives and information delivery efforts, and
other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors required with a major in statistics, mathematics,
economics, sociology, computer science or other quantitative social
- Experience in extracting, analyzing, and interpreting data from
a variety of sources (information systems).
- Ability to draw conclusions and communicate data findings;
applying statistical principles and methods to meet
- a range of information requirements; gathering and analyzing
data and generating statistical reports
Experience (2-3 years) with statistical software tools/packages
such as SAS
(preferred), SPSS, R etc. to produce high quality
- Demonstrated computer skills including knowledge and
familiarity with spreadsheets, programming languages, relational
databases and SQL.
- Familiarity with survey design and the ability to analyze the
results to help support research questions and
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
verbally and in written form.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with competing
- Ability to take initiative when working independently and yet
work effectively in a team environment with people who have a
diverse array of experiences and backgrounds.
Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty,
staff, and student environment or a commitment to do so as a staff
member at VCU is required.
Preferred Hiring Standards:
- Masters of Sciences degree preferred or the equivalent in
training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced
- Hands on experience with Data Visualization and Business
Intelligence Tools such as Tableau, Power BI, SASVA
- 2-3 years experience working in Higher Education preferably in
an Institutional Research Office.
- Familiarity with higher education data domains (e.g.
admissions, enrollment, financial aid, employee, finance,
development, sponsored research) in a university setting.
All full-time university staff are eligible for VCU’s generous
benefits package that includes: competitive health benefits, paid
annual and holiday leave, retirement planning, tax-deferred annuity
and cash match programs, Virginia Retirement System (VRS),
professional development, tuition waiver, parental leave,
caregiving leave and community service leave. Explore our benefits
Department: Institutional Research and Decision Support
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt