The Office of Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRDS)
invites candidates to apply to the Business Intelligence Developer
position. This position supports the mission of IRDS which is
focused on enhancing and advancing VCU's data driven culture by
leveraging institutional metrics to make an impact. This requires a
systems thinking approach that is aligned with strategic
priorities. We serve as data wranglers, collecting and intertwining
metrics to find actionable insights that lead to collaborative
The core responsibility of the Business Intelligence Developer will
be to develop content in current and new Business Intelligence
applications. In order to accomplish this responsibility the
position will focus on project planning consisting of initial
business requirement gathering, conducting design sessions, and
ensuring the BI application is maintained throughout the product
life cycle. This is a University Academic Professional staff
appointment reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence in
the office of Institutional Research and Decision Support.
This position will have the opportunity for hybrid telework and
flexible work arrangements.
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000
In this position you will:
Minimum Hiring Standards:
- Work closely with the Business Intelligence team to elicit data
and reporting requirements from data trustees, data stewards, and
academic unit leaders via interviews, document analysis, and
requirement gathering sessions.
- Work closely with academic and administrative stakeholders, ERP
and other Management Information Systems’ technical staff; this
position will conduct needs assessments and document requirements
to inform the development of data marts, and dashboards.
- Design, develop and test standardized web reports based on
identified requirements. Profile data to ensure consistency and
accuracy in reporting.
- Design, create and manage SAS stored processes to deliver
information through the SAS Information Delivery Portal.
- Improve performance and efficiency of existing
reports/dashboards and maintain accuracy against changes in
- Develop institutional reports and dashboards based on technical
specifications using SAS components – SAS Foundation, Enterprise
Guide, Visual Analytics and Information Delivery Portal.
- Develop data visualizations to tell a compelling visual story
for decision making. Special projects and other related duties as
- Participate in an institution-wide data warehousing effort by
collaborating with data stewards, subject matter experts, data
custodians, etc. across campus to define and integrate a wide array
of university data from a variety of sources.
Preferred Hiring Standards:
- Bachelor degree in computer science, information systems,
mathematics, statistics, or equivalent work experience in database
administration, data warehousing, data modeling and
- Proficiency in SQL and/or PL/SQL required using data
modeling/ETL tools, with preference for SAS technologies, including
SAS Data Integration Studio.
- Experience working with stakeholders to gather business and
- Experience in working with Business Intelligence platforms,
with preference for SAS technologies.
- Strong understanding of data structures, database design,
relational and dimensional data modeling.
or data visualization products.
- Written and oral communication skills, including the ability to
communicate effectively and professionally with all colleagues at
various levels within the organization of community leadership and
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do
- SAS BI Content Developer for SAS 9 Certification, Certified
Business Intelligence Professional from TWDI.
- Experience with unstructured data as it relates to cleansing,
extraction, and integration.
- Experience in designing and implementing data warehouse
- Experience with SAS EBI and/or SAS Visual Analytics platforms
developing information delivery solutions utilizing SAS Stored
Processes, and SAS Macro technologies.
Initial review of applications will begin after May 20, 2022.
All full-time university staff are eligible for VCU’s generous
benefits package that includes: competitive health benefits, paid
annual and holiday leave, retirement planning, tax-deferred annuity
and cash match programs, Virginia Retirement System (VRS),
professional development, tuition waiver, parental leave,
caregiving leave and community service leave. Explore our benefits
Department: Institutional Research and Decision Support
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt