Director, Financial Aid
Internal Position Title:
: Financial Aid
College of Lake County is seeking and experienced leader to oversee
our Financial Aid department! The Director of Financial
is responsible for the overall leadership and
supervision of the Financial Aid department, administering
scholarship, work-study, loan, and grant programs of approximately
$20 million annually in compliance with federal, state and
institutional guidelines. The Director is also responsible for the
leadership and supervision of the Veteran's Associate, providing
comprehensive services to military and veteran students related to
veteran's educational benefits. The Director will provide vision
and direction for the administrative and operational activities of
a service-oriented Financial Aid department, collaborate on
leadership of Veteran Student Services and participate in student
recruitment and retention initiatives.
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community
college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an
innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths
for our students by offering exceptional learning
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and
community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty,
staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake
County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers
in the State of Illinois for 2019.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently
includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and
Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and
qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group
and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible
spending account plans, generous vacation, sick and personal time
off and 13 paid holidays each year.
1. Minimum education | Bachelor’s Degree
2. Specific degree programs | Education, Business, Administration
or a related field.
3. Minimum years of professional experience | 7 years
4. Experience in | Comprehensive knowledge and management
experience with all aspects of the financial aid operation with
progression of supervisory and leadership responsibilities.
5. Minimum years of supervisory experience | 3 years
6. Experience with the administration and maintenance of various
financial aid software systems.
7. Strong research, quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving
8. Demonstrated recent collaborative leadership
9. Possess excellent organizational and project
management skills and the ability to manage multiple
10. Possess strong critical thinking, analytical and
problem-solving skills and acumen.
11. Demonstrated abilities as an effective and
exceptionally skilled communicator, specifically as it relates to
verbal, written communication, and active listening.
12. Demonstrated strong personal integrity, ability to
form effective partnerships, ability to collaborate with others and
work in a team environment consistent with the College of Lake
13. Demonstrated success using inquiry and evidence to
inform decision-making, short- and long-term planning.
14. Proven commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion proactively demonstrated through the ability to work
effectively and collaboratively with persons of diverse cultures,
language groups, identities and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity
to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic,
cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students,
faculty, and staff; establish and maintain effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of
1. Prior experience as a financial aid director in a community
2. Master’s degree in higher education, public administration,
business, or related area
3. Experience with and strong knowledge of PeopleSoft student
information system is highly desirable
4. Bi-lingual Spanish
Expected Start Date:
Special Instructions Summary:
Application review and
interviews will begin on May 8, 2022 and continue until the
position is filled.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with
education and experience.
Total Hours Per Week:
Scheduled hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
These hours will vary with the needs of the college.
Software Testing Required:
Interview Process Requirements:
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has
a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad
spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with
Summary of Essential Functions:
Financial Aid Leadership 50%
1. Provide leadership and administration in establishing procedures
for federal, state, veterans, work study, private scholarships, and
Foundation Scholarship programs.
2. Plan and implement the overall administration of all state and
federal financial aid and veteran’s educational benefit programs in
accordance with established rules and regulations. Establish office
procedures to maintain compliance with governmental regulations.
Work closely with auditors and regulatory agencies.
3. Develop, implement and evaluate goals and objectives for the
Financial Aid Office and collaborate on goals for Veteran Student
4. Supervise, train and evaluate department staff.
5. Allocate resources and manage the office budget.
6. Maintain a high level of customer satisfaction with students,
prospective students, parents, college personnel and scholarship
7. Work collaboratively with Information Technology staff to ensure
the best use of technology in meeting state and federal mandates
and providing support for the functions of the office
8. Advise and educate students, prospective students, parents and
the college community about educational expenses, financial aid
opportunities and eligibility requirements.
9. Compile statistical information for federal, state and
institutional applications and reports within the deadline
limitations, including the FISAP, ECAR/Program Participation
Agreement, and Gainful Employment reports.
10. Conduct data analysis to inform enrollment management decisions
related to financial aid.
11. Responsible for the maintenance and storage of financial aid
records in accordance with government regulations.
12. Work closely with the College Foundation and other scholarship
donors to ensure there are applicants and scholarships
13. Coordinate the Default Management Program for the Federal
Direct Loan Program.
14. In conjunction with the Finance Department, develop and process
reports used to determine student eligibility for disbursement of
financial aid and ensure that the College is compliant with program
reconciliation and cash management requirements.
15. Administer the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for
Financial Aid. Counsel, advise, and adjudicate appeals for
reinstatement of financial assistance.
16. Serve on the College Enrollment Management Committee.
17. Perform need-analysis, awarding, loan certification and approve
disbursement of funds to students.
18. Keep College abreast of all regulatory requirements and changes
related to all scholarships, student financial aid, and Veterans’
19. Represent the College at national, regional and state
conferences on student financial assistance.
20. Work closely with the college community to promote an
understanding of financial aid programs and ensure that academic
programs are designed in order to ensure financial aid is available
21. Promote the Financial Aid Office and its services to the
college community, high schools and to other agencies with the
college district. Participate in various promotional activities on
campus to promote the office and develop and disseminate
appropriate print material explaining financial aid.
22. Establish good working relationships with all offices of the
College to provide supportive service to the financial aid
23. Serve as a collaborative member of the Enrollment Services
team, working closely with other Directors in order to better serve
students, the Student Development division and the college
Strategic Leadership and Project Management 20%
1. Provide values-driven leadership to build and
contribute to high-performing teams that provide excellence in
customer service through innovative, creative and collaborative
practices to all units and campuses within the College, as well as
the external community. 2. Implement the
strategic plan, develop a collaborative student-focused and
community-focused culture, assure fiscal viability of the
department, uphold policy and procedures, proactively lead talent
performance and talent development, and build community relations
as a collaborative partner on the Leadership Council and within a
shared governance structure. 3. Champion the
values of excellence, purpose, integrity, compassion, unity and
inclusion as a leader of the College. Support student and employee
success by demonstrating a commitment to equity, inclusion, and
respectful interactions with persons of diverse ethnic, cultural,
socio-economic or educational backgrounds.
4. Collaborate with
Student Recruitment and Onboarding and Academic Advising
departments on the creation and updating of student financial
5. Collaborate with departments across the college with events and
training if needed.
Personnel Management 20%
1. Coach, mentor and develop employees across all
departments, divisions and units of the College in collaboration
with leaders throughout the College. 2. Directly
hire, lead, manage, support and empower
Financial Aid team to job success at the College.
3. Encourage and support personal and professional
development and learning, well-being and work-life
4. Bi weekly FA meetings to keep the teams all
updated on office concerns and updates if needed.
5. Weekly and Bi weekly one on ones for direct reports.
6. Weekly check in with WOSC leadership
1. Participate on strategic and/or functional
cross-departmental teams, committees and councils at the request of
the division or unit leaders. 2. Participate in
professional associations/organizations and educational activities
that enhance subject matter expertise and leadership competencies,
knowledge, understanding and interpersonal skills. Remain
knowledgeable of current state and federal laws, regulations, and
best practices in the field of appointment ensuring the College’s
policies, procedures, practices and programs conform to laws and
regulations and align with the mission, vision, values and
strategic goals of the College.
3. Perform any and all
other duties assigned that support the mission, vision, values and
strategic initiatives of College of Lake County and goals of the
department, division and unit of appointment.
To apply, visit https://jobs.clcillinois.edu/postings/20174