Dakota State University is seeking applications for a Systems
Administrator. This position reports to the Director of Technical
Operations and is responsible for daily operations of all
virtualized and physical servers as well as system design,
security, and improvements.
- Assist with VMware vSphere, Horizon, and ESXi hardware and
- Maintain Windows and Linux operating environments.
- Daily maintenance of Microsoft Active Directory services.
- Design and develop scripts to automate manual tasks related to
systems operations and maintenance.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying integrity and
availability of all hardware, server resources, systems, and key
processes by reviewing logs, warnings, and alerts.
- Test, apply, and keep up-to-date patches and upgrades for all
systems and software.
- Respond quickly to monitoring alerts.
- Assist with maintained of existing server infrastructure.
- Assist with maintaining redundancy in systems in order to
minimize impact of failed equipment.
- Assist in the development of a disaster recovery plan, working
with other ITS staff and their areas.
- Provide, develop, and maintain applications to automate systems
administration and monitoring.
- Provide reports on server and data storage activity and
- Assist and maintain a response plan for server and data storage
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience in a
computing and information technology related field.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server and Linux
operating systems, VMware administration, Active Director
and LDAP, and Microsoft SQL.
- Knowledge with Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies.
- Knowledge of basic networking concepts and protocols.
- Thorough knowledge of security best practices as they related
to server and data storage environments.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment
site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu
The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter,
resume, transcripts, and supporting references, including addresses
and telephone numbers of at least three references. Review of
applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled. DSU is located in Madison, South
Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts
a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in
smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute
drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible
benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement
benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits
include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training
opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability
coverage. DSU is committed to equal employment
opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state, or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary
accommodations required in the application process.