Full-time, 12-month position plus complete benefit
$22.00-$26.00 per hour commensurate with
The Web Developer will be responsible for researching,
recommending, planning, and implementing new technologies and
resolving the most complex problems in relation to the design,
expansion, maintenance and improvements to the official websites
for the University of Montana Western, Helena College and various
other websites from these institutions. The Web Developer needs to
possess deep technical expertise in the areas of web development
CSS and good working knowledge of WordPress, editing and developing
custom WordPress themes, and other full stack web development
skills. The Web Developer works as a part of the IT staff to
perform specific tasks to maintain and improve the official
websites and will work closely with all areas of campus to enhance
the website’s appearance, capabilities and SEO properties. The Web
Developer will also utilize their broad web development expertise
to lead the testing and optimization of these websites for both
desktop and mobile web browsers and integrate programmatic
functions with WordPress to be utilized by multiple backend
This position will also lead the planning and implementation of
short and long-term web development projects and help with security
strategies and meet with other stake holders on campus during the
consultation, pre-production, production and post-production phases
of webpage creation and management. The position ensures that the
various websites serve as Montana Western’s and Helena College’s
central communications and recruiting tool in providing content
that is user friendly and accurately reflects the university’s
This position has the possibility of working from Helena, Missoula,
Dillon, or remote from within the state of Montana. If your passion
is web development, please reach out to us regardless of
qualifications or experience.
The University and Dillon Area
- Experience in the prototyping (including User Experience and
Interface design knowledge), security, installation, testing,
maintenance, updates, and content management of large-scale
websites (university or school websites preferred).
- Experience and aptitude for the application of web design
principles in the design and implementation process of holistic and
individual website elements (menus, image galleries, directories,
site search, news articles, events calendars, submission forms, A-Z
- Experience working with a PHP-based content management system
such as WordPress (strongly preferred) or Joomla.
and PHP, and a front-end framework such as Bootstrap (preferred) or
- Experience with user experience and information design.
- Experience integrating social media APIs into a web
- Experience in CSS optimization/minification (i.e. gulp.js
- Experience in generating reports based on website analytics and
presenting concise, actionable plans for increasing efficiency and
- Experience with appropriate applications and software for use
in web and graphics development (including Adobe Creative Cloud
Photoshop and Illustrator).
- Good communication, writing and editing skills.
- Highly organized with attention to detail, meets deadlines and
stays on schedule
- Knowledge of all aspects of web accessibility and use of
appropriate web analytic tools including Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of MySQL.
- Understanding of SSL and data security principles, as well as
backup and recovery processes.
- Experience in the artistic application of digital
- Working knowledge of color theory, layout and design principles
- General knowledge of computer programs, applications, and
- Knowledge of graphic arts design principles and concepts,
processes and procedures.
- Ability to troubleshoot software issues.
- Ability to creatively translate concepts into effective visual
and interactive websites.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of
individuals and constituencies who possess diverse technical
backgrounds and skill levels.
- Ability to manage complex projects, prioritize tasks and
complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to
staff and faculty during project design phases, including clear
communication of feasible project deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to research and adopt new technologies and software
features related to web design, content management, and
- High levels of organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to meet complicated production timelines, adjust
quickly as situations demand, and assure project completion in an
atmosphere of change and shifting priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, web design, graphic
design, media arts or digital media, or equivalent experience.
- The WDD may be required to move office supplies as needed (no
more than 50 pounds).
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative,
undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300
students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky
Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for
delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation
offering Experience One (X1),
delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students
take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days,
before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits
and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule
facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study
travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty
strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting
them in the transition from university life to professional
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon
Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for
outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational
opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications
from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with
disabilities. Criminal Background Investigation is
required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance
with University regulations, finalists for this position will be
subject to criminal background investigations.
ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations
are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities.
For example, this material is available in alternative format upon
request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we
encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women.
Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities
preference in accordance with state law. References:
References not listed on the application materials may be
contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing:
Individual hiring departments at UMW may elect to administer
pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job
functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be
eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first
date of employment at UMW, as legally required (e.g., Form
Review of applications will begin immediately, but will remain open
until the position is filled.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and
experience related to the stated required skills for the position.
A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or
“Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work
- Professional References – names and contact information
for three (3) professional references.
Montana, United States
22.00 - 26.00