Boise State University is building an inclusive community of
faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work
history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic
experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people
thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek
applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a
diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of
historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black,
Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members
of the LGBTQIA+ community, those who have served in the military,
and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Responsible for leading the Department of Housing’s residential
program serving residents in traditional, suite and apartment style
residence halls; including a family and graduate housing community.
Develops and guides strategic planning initiatives for residence
life as well as short-term goal setting and implementation of
organizational priorities that complement the mission of the
University. As a campus collaborator, promotes a vision that
prioritizes and advances inclusivity and multicultural practice
supporting students and staff of all identities. The Director
oversees student development programs that enhance the live-on
experiences for residents who choose to reside on-campus.
Housing and Residence Life is home to approximately 3000
students and staff in 10 campus living communities. Housing and
Residence Life is a space that seeks to welcome and affirm diverse
students and professionals in their intersectional identities.
Housing and Residence Life provides a vibrant residential
experience that promotes inclusiveness, learning, academic
excellence, and meaningful relationships.
Oversees through subordinate managers a large, complex
organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR
manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact
upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and
administering policies and programs, manages significant human,
financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high
degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made
by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate managers the
accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the
development of systems and procedures to protect organizational
assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept
new concepts, practices and approaches.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Direct the administration of the Housing department, including
development and administration of functional plans.
- Development and oversight of a $13 million auxiliary
- Develop strategic plan, attainment and reporting for
- Monitor quality of programming provided to students.
Anticipate, develop, and implement best practices that are
responsive to trends regarding student issues, programming, and
- Collaborate with department and division communications and
marketing colleagues to promote a proactive approach to building
security. Respond to campus emergencies as required. Provide
comprehensive crisis management systems in the residential
- Collaborate with department facilities and financial units to
develop capital projects that support the overall vision and
strategic plan for Housing
- Engage and support a diverse campus community and foster a
welcoming, supportive, safe, and inclusive environment that
promotes connection to campus life. Ensure diversity training is a
component in staff development plans.
- Supervise staff including hiring, evaluating performance,
training, assigning work.
- Develop and oversee a $13 million auxiliary budget for Housing
and Residence Life including the navigation of the financial and
programmatic aspects of the university’s 3rd party contract in the
management of the Honors and Sawtooth Hall.
- Represent Housing and Residence Life in establishing agreements
with campus partners and outside vendors.
Departmental Strategic Planning:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Develop both short- and long-term goals that are consistent
with and contribute to the mission and vision of the
- Regularly assess effectiveness of departmental goals
- Identify student demands and needs for on-campus housing
- Develop and implement housing master plan aligned with student
needs and university’s strategic goals.
- Execute the housing master plan including the construction of
new first-year student housing.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and strategic thinking
- Ability to be a highly collaborative and ethical leader
- Knowledge of industry standards as established within the
collegiate housing profession
- General knowledge of budget management principles with specific
emphasis upon capital projects, utility use reduction, and
appropriate personnel structures.
- Knowledge of housing data management systems.
- Ability to manage a large department composed of varying
- General knowledge of facility management, including maintenance
and cleaning, capital project development, and construction
practices for new buildings
- General knowledge of student development theory and its
application to working with students, including the impact campus
residence has on students’ academic success.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 8 years experience including
5 years managerial experience
Master’s or doctoral degree in student affairs, higher education,
or similar field. Salary and
Salary range begins at $98,717. Boise State University is
committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and
financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health
and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose
the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more
about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
Tuition Fee Waiver: for self, spouse, and
Flexible Spending Accounts
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Required Application Materials:
Cover letter detailing interest and qualifications for the
Professional resume/CV with dates of employment
Three professional references