The Senior Development Writer will serve as the chief development
writer for The President, Vice President of University Relations
and Provost working in the University of Maryland’s Office of
Principal Gifts, the department responsible for the university’s
largest philanthropic contributions. Principal gifts to
universities are transformative and create new projects and
programs. The highly individualized written materials and
deliverables produced by the Senior Development Writer will focus
on high-level, high-impact principal gift fundraising efforts and
will have high visibility.
This individual must be an experienced and effective writer able to
work creatively and independently to produce: proposals, pitch
documents, publications, Governor Proclamations and donor
communications as well as internal briefing documents for the
University President as well as the Vice President for University
Relations and Provost. The incumbent will simultaneously manage
multiple projects from concept to completion. The ideal candidate
will be flexible and deadline-driven, with the ability to write
donor-facing materials in collaboration with designers to bring
materials to life. All deliverables should be well-researched and
written, persuasive and compelling, and in-line with the stature of
University leadership. The incumbent will serve as an in-house
expert on development proposals, consulting with colleagues in
schools and colleagues to share best practices as well as industry
standards and trends.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Principal Gifts, this person
will be an essential member of the Principal Gifts team. They will
be expected to contribute to strategic discussions and collaborate
with colleagues across campus units to maximize philanthropic
support of the university. The incumbent should have demonstrated
familiarity with fundraising principles.
Candidates must provide three writing samples that
demonstrate previous relevant writing experience. Examples can
include (but are not limited to): proposals, case statements,
formal correspondence, fundraising emails, etc.
Education (include licenses, certifications,
Bachelor’s Degree required.
Minimum of five years of professional experience to include a
strong background in writing compelling copy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of development.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills and attention to
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-level and effective
- Ability to quickly produce clear and concise documents for
internal and external publication.
- Ability to contribute to strategic discussion and
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be creative and work independently.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook,
PowerPoint), Google Suite