Associate Editor, PRL
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership
organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of
physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific
meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international
activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including
physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the
United States and throughout the world.
Would you like to join our close-knit team of editors running the
world’s leading physics journal? As an Associate Editor
of Physical Review Letters, you would handle all
phases of the peer review process and ultimately decide which
papers we publish. For this important work, we seek a dynamic and
personable individual with a strong scientific background in
particle, nuclear, or astrophysics, and a broad
perspective. Our editors stay engaged with the physics
community and abreast of the latest research by attending meetings
and visiting research institutions around the world. In addition,
editors participate in various editorial initiatives and
cross-departmental APS projects.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and are open to
researchers from a variety of backgrounds. We will train you to
develop the editorial skills needed to be part of our team.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment
and equal access within the United States, independent of physical
work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from
remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates
from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work
environment with an outstanding total compensation package
including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time
Is This You:
- Manage all aspects of peer review for a suite of manuscripts.
This includes determining if review is warranted, selecting
referees, evaluating responses, and deciding whether to
- Maintain close contact with the other PRL editors and with the
editors of other journals in the Physical Review portfolio.
- Help select and briefly summarize papers to highlight.
- Keep up with current and emerging physics research.
- Build ties with the community, especially via our Editorial
Board and through outreach.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental APS
Education: A PhD and postdoctoral experience
in particle, nuclear, or astrophysics. PRL covers all areas of
physics research, so we seek those with a broad background and
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and
- Minimum of 1 year of postdoctoral experience.
- PRL covers all areas of physics research, so we seek those with
a broad background and outlook.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and
existing research groups in the area of coverage.
- Strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
Additional languages are also useful.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both alone and as part of a team.
Travel: The position requires some business
travel within and outside the US, to attend conferences and events,
and to interact with researchers at research institutions and
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are
operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows
flexible work hours, responsiveness is required however during the
core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful
candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors
across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the
knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics,
and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an
active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential
role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an
organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we
conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee
has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and
actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core
Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
The Scientific Method
Truth and Integrity
Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based
on medical plan enrollment
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100%
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100%
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse
& dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes
one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- 10 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn
Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action
and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American
Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of
employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed,
alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national
origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected
veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry,
domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic
protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including
recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring,
upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job
assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges
of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or
without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential
functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The
American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and
activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please
contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide
proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter
upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious
exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes
equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work
location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote
work locations. We welcome you to apply today! The deadline
for all applications is May, 31, 2022.