The ERP Project Manager reports to
the ETSU Chief lnformation Officer. Responsible for
end-to-end program management that encompasses all projects and
initiatives related to the implementation of a new Enterprise
Resource Planning (ERP) platform including monitoring,
coordinating, and communicating all relevant program level
activities to all appropriate stakeholders. This position provides
strategic leadership and oversees highly complex enterprise
systems, coordinating the efforts of multiple employee teams and
consultants. This position will also collaborate and coordinate
with the entire ERP project team and the
successful ERP deployment partner and vendor.
Oracle will be the ERP vendor, pending the final
contract. East Tennessee State University is the state’s
fourth-largest university and is ranked in the top 160 public
higher education institutions in the nation. We are
recognized for excellence in academics, research, athletics, and
service to the community and region, offering over 140 academic
undergraduate and graduate programs. East Tennessee State
University is located in Johnson City, TN, a city of just over
70,000 residents in the center of the Appalachian Highlands of
Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. The Appalachian
Highlands region is a great place to live and work. It is
home to numerous opportunities for outdoor recreation and
Information Technology Services (ITS) at ETSU provides
support for our students, faculty, and staff. Our team
consists of approximately 60 employees with responsibility for a
variety of technical services to the
campus. ITS services include support for academics,
online education, networking, systems, enterprise software,
research computing, security, esports, project management, and
digital signage. Our mission is to provide excellent technical
services to students, faculty, and staff and deliver technologies
that advance the University’s academic, research, and
- Responsible for the daily coordination and management of the
logistics for the implementation of the ERP system.
- Provides guidance, leadership, and mentoring for staff by
establishing the strategic direction of the team, establishing work
plans for project activities, and establishing goals for
- Functions as point of contact and liaison between
the ERP vendor, ERP deployment
partner, ITS, and functional units moving to a
new ERP system.
- Monitors the progress of the ERP implementation by
providing timely input and verification on deliverables,
participates in project communications and provides project
governance and application of change management processes.
- Provide tracking and metrics for management of
the ERP project.
- Design and develop regular reporting strategies that will
identify areas in need of performance improvement and support
University information needs.
- Provide expertise based on project management best
- Set and define project goals.
- Ensure project management documentation is accurate and
- Develop the ERP Project Charter.
- Work with the deployment partner to provide input to the
deliverable components of the ERP project, including but
not limited to, the creation and implementation of training
schedules, development of a system test plan, and a data conversion
- Identify ERP project stakeholders.
- Define project scope.
- Work with the deployment partner to develop and manage
communication throughout the project.
- Upon completion of work with the deployment partner,
the ERP project manager will be responsible
for ERP change management.
- Coordinate and schedule project meetings, training sessions,
working sessions, or other procedures or actions required for
- Coordinates resources for the project and provides a report on
the use of resources.
- Documents all communication throughout the implementation.
- Coordinates the tasks to be completed by all participants.
- Confers with the CIO, CFO, and AVP for HR
on all business-related processes concerning the implementation of
- Collaborates with ITS to plan and develop project
plans for all ERP system upgrades.
- Collaborates with ITS security team to ensure all
applications comply with University security policies.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that may be
required relating to the operations of the functional unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Following implementation of HR, Finance, and Student modules of
the ERP system, this position will be responsible for all
projects related to the test and
production ERP environment. This will include, but not be
limited to, planning and communication regarding system upgrades
and patches, development of training schedules for new employees,
continuous process improvement activities, and alignment of
the ERP with the strategic goals for the University.
Development of ERP reports related to upgraded
functionality and benefits of the upgraded system will be provided
to the immediate supervisor on regular intervals to be
The value of employment at ETSU goes far beyond salary.
Regular benefited ETSU employees enjoy a full range of
benefits, services and programs including:
- Paid time off & leave
- 16 paid holidays
- Educational Assistance
- Health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement with a 9% employer match
- Access to University facilities and services and much
Check out the ETSU Human Resources Benefits page for
additional information at: https://www.etsu.edu/human-resources/benefits/
ETSU is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by
ensuring all of our students, faculty, and staff work in an
environment of openness and acceptance. Successful candidates
should have a demonstrated commitment and contribution to fostering
and advancing equity, diversity and inclusion. East Tennessee State
University (ETSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. Knowledge, Skills &
- Knowledge of project management principles and methods.
- Knowledge of ERP implementation projects.
- Experience managing and implementing IT projects related
- Knowledge of business process evaluation and improvement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the key areas that typically
fall under the purview of a major ERP system including
Finance, HR, and Student.
- Understanding of IT concepts including, but not limited to,
iterative development and/or delivery, systems integrations, data
cleansing, data migration, verification and validation.
- Knowledge of instructional resource technology and terminology
along with knowledge of higher education practices, policies, and
- Knowledge of budget and resource planning environments.
- Experience with risk identification, risk mitigation,
contingency planning, tracking, escalation, and resolution.
- Demonstration of excellent interpersonal and collaborative
- Good communication skills demonstrated by the ability to
present ideas in a way that are easily understood and write formal
- Ability to think critically with strong problem solving
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills as well as be able
- Experience using the selected ERP system.
- There is a routine need to be physically present on campus to
coordinate the implementation of a new ERP system.
- There are regular needs to attend, present, and gather
information at meetings.
- Ability to provided reports and presentations to various groups
across campus will be routine.
Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the
position satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
and seven (7) years of large-scale project management
Master’s degree and five
(5) years project management experience (relevant consulting
experience may be considered). Preferred
ERP Project Management experience in
Project Management Professional Certification or a closely relevant
certification preferred. Physical Demands:
There is a routine need to be physically present on campus to
coordinate the implementation of a new ERP system. There
are regular needs to attend, present, and gather information at
meetings. Reports and presentations to various groups across campus
will be routine. For consideration, candidates must
apply and submit all required documents to the university’s hiring
system and follow any special instructions listed in the posting.
The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
All East Tennessee State University positions are contingent upon
sufficient funding. See the full position description and apply