This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the
provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes
the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Assistant Professor of Newton Gresham Library (Head of
Acquisitions & Serials)
Assistant Professor (12-months)
Commensurate with education and experience.
Full-Time Tenure Track
Newton Gresham Library
Newton Gresham Library
Refer Applicants To
Directory of Library Technical Services
Newton Gresham Library
Sam Houston State University
PO Box 2179
Huntsville, TX 77341
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
This is a tenure-track faculty position with expectations of
librarianship, professional service, and scholarship. The
librarianship duties include the following:
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management of the acquisitions unit of the library which is
responsible for purchasing materials for the library collection in
an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Directly supervises the Acquisition Library Associate and
Acquisitions & Serials Library Assistant II, and provides
functional supervision to other staff as needed.
- Helps to coordinate and oversee the budgeting and
reconciliation of university accounts used for the payment of
library resources including firm orders, standing orders, and
subscriptions. Works closely with the Electronic Resources
Librarian in acquiring databases.
- Assists with troubleshooting e-resource access problems related
to payment and coverage discrepancies.
- Confers with the Director of Library Technical Services and the
Executive Director of Library Services about budget availability
and priorities. Prepares and updates the library materials budget
throughout the year. Oversees the reconciliation of payments
between the ILS acquisition system and the university financial
system. Requests the transfer of money between university accounts
as approved by the Director of Library Technical Services, as
- Coordinates all aspects of resource acquisitions, including
overseeing ordering and receiving of library materials in all
formats and order types—firm orders, subscriptions, standing
orders, patron driven acquisitions. Oversees print serials
processes including receiving and binding. Supervises, trains, and
evaluates the work of the Acquisition unit staff. Collaborates in
setting departmental goals, policies, procedures, practices, and
workflows. Provides unit leadership to complete them.
- Serves as an Ex Officio member of the Library Collection
Development Committee. Investigates potential subscriptions to or
purchases of large e-journal packages, e-book subscriptions,
streaming media subscriptions, and patron-driven acquisition
services requested by subject selectors. Utilizes vendor
subscription management systems and/or communicates with vendors,
publishers, and consortia partners to obtain pricing, licensing,
accessibility, and other data. Places approved orders with vendors.
Acts as a liaison between library, publishers, vendors, and
consortia partners in arranging subscriptions to and renewals of
consortia e-journal packages. Assists with database order as
needed. Communicates with University budgeting and purchasing
offices to ensure the timely acquisition and payment for all
- Communicates with subject selectors and vendors concerning
renewals of serial, e-book and streaming media subscriptions.
Requests usage statistics from appropriate librarians and staff in
Technical Services to inform renewal decisions.
- Utilizes the electronic resources management system to record
information about serial, e-book and streaming media subscription
orders, licenses, payments, format changes, title changes,
cessations, and cancellations. Monitors perpetual access
information for serials.
- Coordinates with the Head of Cataloging and Metadata to select
appropriate sources and years of access for e-journals in the
holding management system and to facilitate cataloging of receive
orders. Oversees and communicates changes in title lists of large
- Assists with troubleshooting e-journal access problems when
issues arise from payment or coverage discrepancies and helps with
other types of resources as needed.
- Participates in the management team of the Technical Services
Department to establish department priorities and objectives and to
provide effective coordination of technical services workflow
- Participates in professional activities, professional
development, scholarly research, and service activities as outlines
in Academic Policy statement 900417, Faculty Reappointment, Tenure
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned by
the Executive Director or the Director of Library Technical
Educational Requirements for the Position
A degree from an American Library Association ( ALA ) accredited
Experience Required for the Position
- Masters degree from an ALA -accredited institution.
- Minimum two (2) years of progressively responsible experience
managing workflows and processes associated with the acquisition of
physical and electronic materials including firm order, standing
order, patron driven acquisition, and subscription methods.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience supervising
paraprofessional library staff in an academic library. Commitment
to staff mentoring and development.
- Cultural competence and ability to provide leadership in ways
that increase equity and inclusion.
- Experience managing library collection budgets.
- Familiarity with collection management.
- Experience working with spreadsheets to collect, analyze and
report on data.
- Experience with systems used in academic libraries including
ILS acquisitions and serials modules, vendor portals, electronic
resource management systems and university financial accounting
- Experience communicating and resolving acquisitions issues with
- Attention to detail.
- Evidence of effective communications, interpersonal and
- Experience with the acquisition of print and electronic
resources. Experience managing print.
Other Requirements for the Position
- 3+ years of progressively responsible professional and/or
paraprofessional experience managing workflows and processes
associated with the acquisition of physical and electronic
materials and supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of metadata standards and formats including
MARC, KBART, AACR2, RDA, LCSH .
- Experience using and/or administering SIRSIDynix acquisitions
and serials modules.
- Familiarity with EDI / EDIFACT for ordering, claiming, and
- Familiarity with print serials binding processes
Special Instructions Summary
This is a tenure track, 12 month position.
Review of applicants will begin April 29, 2022.
References provided in the Reference section of the application
will receive an automated email reference request at the time the
application is submitted.
Open Until Filled
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free
Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status,
citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran
status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender
identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at
will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional
terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require
background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Security and Fire Safety Report
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's Degree from an institution accredited
by the American Library Association (ALA)?
- * How did you learn about this position?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- HBCU Connect - Historically Black Colleges and
- HACU - Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Association for Women in Science
- TWC - Work in Texas
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- SHSU Website
- SHSU Employee
- SHSU Recruiter
- If your response to the question above was 'Other' please
indicate from what source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (Faculty)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3