Position Primary Purpose and General Duties
The Leadership Annual Giving Officer is a front-line fundraising
professional responsible for the management of a pool of prospects
composed of School of Business alumni, donors, volunteers, and
community partners with the giving potential of up to
Under the leadership of the Director of Development, the Leadership
Annual Giving Officer holds chief responsibility for and provides
oversight of annual giving efforts. The incumbent will extend and
amplify general annual giving efforts by cultivating relationships
with prospects and donors and building consistent base support for
the School. The Leadership Annual Giving Officer applies knowledge
of the School to the annual giving process, equipping units in VCU
Development and Alumni Relations to more broadly ask for gifts to
the School and create a pipeline of prospects for future leadership
annual giving and major gifts.
Annual giving for the School of Business provides essential and
indispensable funding for programming, academic events, staff
development, and student engagement at many levels. It builds the
base for capital and targeted giving that helps create and operate
high-quality student learning experiences to aid their ability to
engage, discover and innovate in a global environment. Annual
giving and annual donors set the stage to expand crucial support
for research, scholarship, creative expression and laboratory
experience to advance knowledge and enhance the quality of life. A
strong, supported School of Business will help VCU become a
national model for community engagement and regional impact.
Minimum hiring standards
- Acquire, cultivate and retain annual donors in support of the
VCU School of Business.
- Assist the University’s departments of Annual Giving and
University Development in developing annual giving efforts,
including face-to-face solicitations.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for direct mail and
special marketing projects provided by the VCU Office of
Development and Alumni Relations.
- Manage a portfolio of leadership annual fund prospects (donors
of $500 and above) and solicit gifts through personal appointments,
calls and correspondence in order to obtain and/or increase donor
contributions for the School.
- Conduct research to identify individual donors in order to
increase donor response and develop/track metrics for
accountability and evaluation in the database of record.
- Recruit, organize and train volunteers for annual giving
- Coordinate stewardship efforts in collaboration with internal
team members and with the University’s department of Strategic
Marketing and Engagement.
Preferred hiring standards
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and work
- 3-5 years of professional fundraising experiences in a higher
education or nonprofit setting
Experience with fundraising databases.
- A strong command of fundraising principles and a familiarity
with the objectives of annual and unrestricted-gift
- A self-starter who can work effectively as a team member and
- Ability to draw correlations between engagement and giving
levels then make appropriate solicitation.
- An outgoing and positive personality, strong interpersonal
skills and a collaborative working style.
- Proven ability to motivate, engage, solicit and steward a range
- Organized and detail-oriented with proven ability to prioritize
and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and goal-oriented
- Must be willing to travel via automobile as part of
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
faculty member at VCU.
- Advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that
equates to an advanced degree.
- Experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating annual fund, direct
gift solicitation and closure rate of gifts up to $50,000, working
knowledge of tax laws affecting charitable giving.
Department: VCU School of Business
Employment type: University Employee
Restricted status: Not Restricted
Exemption status: Exempt
VCU job title: Sr. Gifts Officer, DV 1-3
Hiring range: Commensurate with experience up to $65,000