Executive Director, Facilities Management
The Executive Director will provide leadership, direction and
strategic vision for the planning, management, and operation of
facilities services on the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL)
- Oversee the operation of UMSL Facilities Management units
include Maintenance Operations, Custodial, Grounds, Planning &
Design, Construction Operations, Space Management, Sustainability
and Environmental Health & Safety.
- Direct the planning, management and implementation of
operational policies, procedures and recommendations for
improvement and maintenance of UMSL's physical facilities.
- Coordinate the design development of all facilities projects -
repair, alteration, renovation, and new construction, including the
development of specifications for contract projects; coordinate the
participation of UM in campus design developments.
- Direct the development of the campus' annual capital budget
request to include both the maintenance and upkeep of current and
the development of new structures.
- Provide annual and long-range planning for University
facilities to include construction, renovation and renewal
projects, and general maintenance and upkeep programs in accordance
with campus strategies and master plans.
- Direct the planning, design and construction of all facilities
projects including repairs, renovations and new buildings.
- Coordinate master planning and long-range facility planning for
the UMSL campus.
- Administer all facilities contract projects. Represent UMSL in
required coordination and liaison for those projects with academic
division and administrative departments including timely reporting
of status of facilities projects in progress or under design.
Coordinate with the Office of the Provost and the Vice Chancellors'
requests for renovations.
- Direct the development and implementation of special studies
and programs requiring engineering evaluations or designs such as
energy conservation and other related areas.
- Direct facilities utilization studies on space assigned to the
- Develop policies and procedures for the assignment of space on
the UMSL campus.
- Make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor of Finance &
Administration and the Provost on the assignment of space to
various offices of the UMSL campus.
- Serve as a community liaison and/or resource as appointed by
the Vice Chancellor of Finance & Administration which includes,
but not limited to, serving on community committees/councils,
providing campus tours to constituents, meeting with potential
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental
goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating
procedures; monitor and evaluate programmatic and operational
effectiveness, and effect changes required for improvement.
- Develop and administer the annual departmental budget. Plan,
develop, and implement strategies for generating resources and/or
revenues for the department.
- Represent department and University on both campus and System
Office planning and policymaking meetings, committees, and task
forces. Act as liaison with local municipalities to encourage
collaboration on projects of mutual interest and impact.
- Work collaboratively with University of Missouri’s System
Facilities Office to develop system-wide protocols and procedures
and ensure compliance with System policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with University, state, federal and local
regulatory requirements, as well as environmental impact issues.
Assess safety compliance needs pertaining to the campus’s physical
assets. Participate in campus-wide emergency response
- Establish Best Practices and Standard Operating Procedures
related to all aspects of Facilities Management responsibilities
including, but not limited to, regulatory compliance, quality
control, construction administration, asset management, personnel,
safety, energy initiatives, and financial management.
- Assess Facilities Management information technology needs to
assure most effective systems to support program functions;
recommend upgrades and improvements.
- Implement effective energy conservation and sustainability
Directly supervises departmental professional employees responsible
for the day-to-day management of capital construction; campus
maintenance and operations; energy utilities and infrastructure;
and administration. Oversees the financial performance of the unit
as well as a staff of over 100+ regular employees, temporary
employees and various student workers. The Director has
responsibility for employment decisions, including hiring,
training, development, performance management and
- A Master's degree in Engineering, Architecture or relevant area
and 10 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and
skills can be acquired OR a Bachelor's degree in a relevant area
and 12 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and
skills can be acquired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Graduate degree in Engineering, Architecture or Business
- Architectural or Engineering License preferred.
- Experience with CMMS (i.e. SchoolDude, Maximo, etc.), ISES,
Sightlines, and e-builder
- Project Management Experience
- Experience in sound financial management to include
responsibilities for managing budget in a challenging financial
environment while maintaining quality output and resource
- Comprehensive understanding of facilities, design,
construction, maintenance, operations, utility operations and
- Experience in administration of multiple maintenance and
capital construction projects from conception to completion.
- Excellent organizational skills. Able to work independently and
successfully prioritize and coordinate multiple programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Able to analyze complex
information, define problems, and develop and implement creative,
cost-effective solutions. Experience in systems development, data
analysis, customer service program development and management, and
- Experience functioning within a complex, regulatory
environment. Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret and
apply standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Salary Commensurate with education and experience
Inclusive Excellence Statement
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not
be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of
religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military
organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of
Homeland Security of the United States of America.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use
the following links:
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University
offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental
and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee
discounts. For additional information on University benefits,
please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits