Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work,
learn, and grow! We are proud to have received the Great Colleges
to Work For honor for 12 consecutive years, 2009-2020.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty,
staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that
is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests
of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go
in your career, you can get there from here!
We are recruiting for a part time, benefit eligible Admissions
and Academic Advisor, Nursing and Allied Health Programs who will
provide pre-enrollment advising to students for all of the
college's learning programs including Laurel College Campus;
specially trained to provide admissions and advising services to
prospective nursing and allied health students including
Cardiovascular Technology, Emergency Medical Services/Paramedic,
Radiologic Technology, Dental Hygienist, Diagnostic Medical
Sonography, Physical Therapist Assistant, Registered Nurse,
Licensed Practical Nursing, LPN to RN Pathway, Paramedic to RN
Pathway, and Military to RN Pathway.
- Works closely with the assistant director to administer all
aspects of the nursing and allied health admissions programs,
including pre-enrollment advising, information sessions,
application and selection processes, management of waiting lists
for all applicable programs, and development and implementation of
selective admissions policies and procedures for multiple
- Serves as the lead coordinator and advisor of one or more
nursing or allied health admissions and/or readmission
- Provides complex and detailed advising services, including
placement test interpretations, program planning, course
scheduling, degree audit, graduation clearance and transfer
advising for all nursing and allied health program students.
- Assists with the transcript evaluation process, including the
evaluation of traditional and nontraditional transcripts for
nursing and allied health programs.
- Assists with the development of numerous nursing and allied
health-related admissions publications, applications and
- Serves as a liaison between the Health Sciences divisions.
- Responds to nursing and allied health inquiries of every kind
including in person, email and voicemail.
- Assists with the coordination of special nursing and allied
health informational programs, college participation in off-campus
nursing and allied health fairs, and other events and
- Provides general pre-enrollment advising for prospective
students and academic advising for currently enrolled students,
regardless of major, during peak periods or in the absence of other
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of Continuing Education
nursing and allied health programs and career update options.
- Interprets college policies and procedures for prospective and
currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff.
- Assists with the development and implementation of the
communications management process and other technology applications
that facilitate selective admissions processes.
- Assists with data collection and reporting related to selective
admissions and readmission nursing and allied health programs.
- Acquires and maintains thorough knowledge of transfer and
articulation programs for nursing and allied health majors.
This position requires considerable knowledge and expertise in a
wide variety of complex areas and is critical to enrollment and
retention, as well as the accreditation of all nursing and allied
health programs as well as general advising knowledge of all other
college learning programs. This position will continue to involve
increasingly complex knowledge and processes as the college expands
its nursing and allied health programs and partnerships.
- Bachelor's degree in education, social science, student
development or related field is required. Master's preferred.
- Prior admissions advising or academic advising experience
required, including experience with diverse and special
- Experience with selective admissions programs, particularly
nursing and allied health programs, strongly preferred.
- Transcript evaluation experience required.
- Prior event planning experience preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations
related to admissions, advising, transfer, transcript evaluation,
general education, licensing exam requirements, criminal background
check requirements for clinical students, and selective admissions
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with student data systems
is required; experience with Colleague and self-service system
- Experience with technology equipment and applications, such as
digital imaging, advising sign-in software, ARTSYS, Windows, MS
Office, the Web and Internet and other software applications
- Demonstrated organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
(including public speaking) required.
- Experience working with various college departments and faculty
- Knowledge of learning outcomes and reporting required.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage multiple and
changing priorities while providing excellent customer
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with challenging student situations in relation
to selective admissions programs and student success in these
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
All employees must comply with college's COVID-19 vaccination or
testing requirement, regardless of telework status. In instances
where employees fail to comply, supervisors will be notified, as
failure to comply is a violation of the employee code of conduct.
Progressive disciplinary action will be taken, including verbal and
written warnings, and up to and including suspension and
Hours Per Week: 25 hours a week
Work Schedule: Five hour shifts during 8:30am-5pm, adjustment to
schedule for one evening per week, some Saturdays during peak
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: April 18, 2022
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension
System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which
requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a
7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do
not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension.
Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional
positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to
participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment
Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values
diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need
assistance with the job application process and/or with the
interview process. For confidential assistance with the job
application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources
HCC is interested in all qualified applicants who are eligible
to work in the United States. However, HCC will generally not
sponsor applicants for work visas. Only employees living in states
contiguous to Maryland are eligible to work at HCC to include
Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania. Candidates
must live in the commutable area or willing to relocate at their
own expense if offered the position because HCC does not offer
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on
completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter