Hagerstown Community College, located in western Maryland, is
pleased to announce that applications are currently being accepted
for a Student Financial Aid Manager position.
The Student Financial Aid Manager assists the Director of
Financial Aid in overseeing the staff, processes, and procedures in
the Student Financial Aid Office. This position works in
collaboration with the Student Financial Aid Data Coordinator to
complete annual system set-up and coordinates the financial aid
awarding process using Ellucian Colleague. This position serves as
HCC’s back-up School Certifying Official (SCO) for the processing
of credit and non-credit VA educational benefits.
A. Student Counseling Responsibilities
1. Meets with students/parents to assist with general challenges
in completing the financial aid process
2. Assists with advising students having academic difficulties
and/or considering withdrawing from courses
3. Maintain confidentiality by assisting students with delicate
financial aid situations away from the front counter.
4. Assists with athletics outreach to assure that all
documentation is received to review financial aid eligibility.
B. Maintains Consistent Awarding Procedures
1. Collaborates with the Director of Financial Aid in
establishing annual financial aid awarding policies.
2. Manages the student financial aid awarding process for both
standard and non-standard programs as well as the summer
3. Monitors file complete dates.
4. Assigns attendance patterns and student budgets.
5. Monitors weekly enrollment reports throughout the semester
and updates student eligibility.
6. Reviews financial aid awards, prior to semester bills being
sent out, to reflect actual enrollment status.
7. Works with the SFA Data Coordinator to annually set up system
awarding procedures, rules to establish attendance patterns,
student cost of attendance budgets, and to auto package financial
8. As needed, assist veterans and military dependent students
with questions about their VA benefits.
C. Student Loan Processing and Management
1. Processes Direct student and parent loans by determining
2. Reviews award letters and accepts and/or revises loan
awards/disbursements assuring the accurate disbursement of loans
3. Runs weekly reports to determine if students are enrolled in
classes, to review loan eligibility, and/or cancel loan
awards/disbursements when the borrower is ineligible.
D. Provide Leadership and Supervision
1. Provide direct supervision and guidance to the non-exempt
Student Financial Aid Office Associates.
2. Oversees all front-line processing including receiving of
documents, proper handling of phone calls, emails, and faxes.
3. Maintains the front-line schedule to make sure that there is
adequate front- line coverage.
4. Assists the Director of Financial Aid, as needed, with the
supervision of the counselors and hiring processes in the Student
Financial Aid Office.
5. As needed, assistance counselors with verification,
Satisfactory Academic Progress, and scholarship
6. Represents the Student Financial Aid Office at campus and
community meetings, presentations, and in the absence of the
7. Assists with the management of special processes and projects
as assigned by the Director, including but not limited to the
disbursement and reconciliation of financial aid funds.
8. Assists with updating office materials, including hard copy
and electronic communications and forms.
E. Professional Judgment Decisions
1. Assists with requests for special circumstances, including
income reductions, waiver requests, and/or dependency
2. Adjusts student's cost of attendance budget for additional
documented educational expenses.
F. Coordinates Financial Literacy for the Student Financial Aid
1. Collaborates with Ocelot to update videos/scripts annually
for use on FATV.
2. Coordinates all financial literacy activities during
financial literacy month (each year in April).
3. Coordinates FAFSA Workshops, informational nights, and
student orientation sessions.
4. Creates/Revises financial literacy materials.
5. Provides training to SFAO Staff on financial literacy
G. Serve as back-up School Certifying Official for the
processing of credit and non-credit VA educational benefits.
1. Receiving training and certification as a School Certifying
Official (SCO) through the Department of Veterans (VA); stay up to
date on VA regulations
2. In the absence of the primary SCO, liaise with the Department
of Veteran Affairs (VA) to ensure accurate data is being provided
and to resolve issues. Liaise with the Maryland Higher Education
Commission in regard to veterans and military dependents.
3. Represent the Financial Aid Office in collaboration with the
Veterans Office and Finance Office to process VA benefits for
qualifying enrolled credit and non-credit students and in regard to
4. Work with primary SCO to process VA benefits a few times a
year in order to maintain SCO knowledge base and to be able to step
into primary role if needed; assist in processing VA benefits
during peak times and as time permits.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree is preferred. Position requires Bachelor's
Degree with a minimum of three (3) years of responsible
professional experience in student financial aid.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be knowledgeable as to Federal and State regulations
governing the awarding of financial aid. Must have the ability to
adhere to office policies and procedures to ensure compliance with
government regulations. Requires the ability to perform detail
work. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, a high
level of self-motivation and proven organizational skills are
essential. A demonstrated ability for teamwork and maintaining
confidentiality are also necessary. Experience with Ellucian
Colleague financial aid module strongly preferred. Ability to
receive training and be certified as a VA School Certifying
For more information on this position and to formally apply,
please visit HCC's employment page at https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6160104.careers?ShowJob=419882212.
Questions may be directed to the Human Resources Office at
240-500-2585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.